HANOI, April 20, 2016 – The U.S. Mission in Vietnam is pleased to announce the 2017-2018 competition for the Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program. The Humphrey Fellowship is a one-year, non-degree, full scholarship program offered to promising mid-career professionals who have a proven track record of leadership, and a strong commitment to public service. Participants spend one year at a leading U.S. university working in a self-designed program of independent study and participate in professional affiliations off-campus, field trips, special workshops and seminars in their field of study. Fellows are selected based on their potential for national leadership and commitment to public service in either the public or private sector.
The Humphrey Fellowship seeks qualified Vietnamese candidates in the following fields:
1. Sustainable Development
- Agricultural and Rural Development;
- Economic Development/Finance and Banking;
- Natural Resources, Environmental Policy, and Climate Change;
- Urban and Regional Planning.
2. Democratic Institution Building
- Law and Human Rights;
- Public Policy Analysis and Public Administration;
- Trafficking in Persons Policy and Prevention;
- Technology Policy and Management;
- Human Resource Management.
- Educational Administration, Planning and Policy;
- Higher Education Administration;
- Teaching of English as a Foreign Language.
4. Public Health
- Public Health Policy and Management;
- HIV/AIDS Policy and Prevention;
- Substance Abuse Education, Prevention, and Treatment – Candidates in this field will be ranked together with candidates in other fields, but must also complete a supplementary field-specific application page.
Requirements for Applicants:
To be eligible for a Humphrey Fellowship, applicants must be between the ages of 28 and 45 and have:
- a university degree;
- at least five years of substantial professional experience prior to August 2017;
- limited or no prior experience in the United States;
- demonstrated leadership qualities and a record of public service;
- strong English skills with a minimum paper-based TOEFL score of 525 or iBT TOEFL score of 71 for the selection in Vietnam. An Institutional TOEFL test will be organized for eligible candidates.
Recent university graduates, university teachers or academic researchers with no management responsibilities (except in the fields of Substance Abuse Education, Prevention, and Treatment, and Teaching of English as a Foreign Language), individuals who have attended a graduate school in the United States one academic year or more during the seven years prior to August 2017, and individuals who have spent more than six months during the five years prior to August 2017 in the United States are not eligible to apply.
The Humphrey Fellowship provides:
- international travel;
- tuition and university fees;
- accident/health insurance;
- monthly maintenance allowance; and
- funds for books and professional activities.
The Humphrey Program does not provide financial support for accompanying family members or dependents. For further information about the program, please visit the program’s official website at http://www.humphreyfellowship.org. The Humphrey Program is very active on social media. Interested applicants can go to Facebook to interact with current Fellows and alumni and learn more through our semi-weekly posts. You can also go to our YouTube page to see videos of Fellows and alumni discussing their Humphrey experience. Candidates can also join LinkedIn to participate in field-specific discussions with Fellows and alumni.
To apply online, please go to http://apply.embark.com/student/humphrey/fellowship/. The deadline for applications to be submitted on the Embark website is 17:00 Monday, August 1st, 2016. Only on-line applications will be accepted.
An Information Session will be held in Hanoi on Friday, June 10, 2016 at 09:00 AM at the Multi-Purpose Room on the 1st Floor, Rose Garden Tower, 170 Ngoc Khanh St., Hanoi. To register for the session in Hanoi, please call 04-3850-5000 (Ext. 6034) or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org by 5:00PM, Wednesday, June 8, 2016; in Ho Chi Minh city on Wednesday, June 1 at 9:00 AM at the Multi-Purpose Room, U.S. Consulate General, 8th Floor, Diamond Plaza Building, 34 Le Duan St., District 1. Please email email@example.com or call 08-3520 4610 to register for the session.