President Donald J. Trump’s Trip to Vietnam
“Today the Vietnamese economy is one of the fastest-growing on earth…We know it is in America’s interests to have partners throughout this region that are thriving, prosperous, and dependent on no one… We want strong partners, not weak neighbors. And above all, we seek friendship.”—President Donald J. Trump
President Donald J. Trump’s state visit to Vietnam reaffirmed his commitment to strengthening the United States-Vietnam Comprehensive Partnership.
STRENGTHEN INTERNATIONAL RESOLVE TO DENUCLEARIZE NORTH KOREA: President Donald J. Trump strengthened international resolve to address the security challenges presented by North Korea.
- The President secured new commitments from Vietnam’s leaders to support the global Maximum Pressure Campaign to bring North Korea back to the path of denuclearization.
PROMOTE A FREE AND OPEN INDO-PACIFIC REGION: President Trump strengthened the United States-Vietnam Comprehensive Partnership, an important element of a free and open Indo-Pacific.
- The United States and Vietnam released a Joint Statement sending a clear message to the region of close and expanding cooperation and coordination between the two nations.
- The United States and Vietnam reached an agreement for the United States to acquire land in Hanoi to construct a new embassy compound, a tangible example of the growing partnership between the two nations.
- The two nations concluded a new Three Year Plan of Action for Defense Cooperation, which will increase bilateral naval activities.
- The United States formally transferred the first United States Coast Guard cutter to the Vietnamese Navy, enhancing Vietnam’s maritime security and domain awareness capabilities.
- President Trump and President Quang welcomed the planned first visit of a United States aircraft carrier to Vietnam in 2018.
- President Trump and Vietnamese leaders celebrated the conclusion of a joint effort to clean dioxin-contaminated soil and sediment in Danang, Vietnam, and welcomed the United States commitment to contribute to remediation at Bien Hoa Airport.
- Both sides reaffirmed the importance of freedom of navigation, overflight, and unfettered commerce in the South China Sea and their commitment to a rules-based approach to resolving maritime disputes.
- The two leaders recognized the importance of protecting and promoting human rights.
ADVANCE AMERICA’S PROSPERITY: President Trump promoted American prosperity and trade, including new investments and energy sales that will lead to jobs for Americans.
- President Trump and Vietnamese leaders pledged to deepen and expand bilateral trade and investment relations—in line with the President’s commitment to pursuing fair and reciprocal trade with key trading partners.
- The United States and Vietnam welcomed the conclusion of $12 billion in commercial agreements, which when implemented will include $10 billion in United States content.
- The United States supported the successful conclusion of Vietnam’s 2017 chairmanship of the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) forum, the region’s premier forum for promoting free, fair, and reciprocal trade that promotes United States exports and creates jobs for Americans.