U.S. Mission Vietnam’s Consular offices will be closed for the “Tet” Lunar New Year holiday:
Monday, February 4, 2019, through Friday, February 8, 2019.
We will resume normal operations on Monday, February 11, 2019. Please note that answers to the most common questions and inquiries can be found on our website or the Department of State’s website. We apologize for any inconvenience and wish you a happy new year.
- For U.S. Citizen Services:
To ensure sufficient time to process passports for U.S. citizens, especially before Tet, we ask you to follow the schedule below:
– If you need to have your new passport before the Tet holiday, you should apply before January 22, 2019. If you apply for a passport on or after January 22, 2019, your new passport will not be available until after the Tet holiday.
– Those who do not need to pick up their passports before Tet can submit their applications through January 31, 2019. The Consular Section will be open through January 31, 2019, for U.S. citizen services and passport pick-up.
NOTICE: For the Tet holiday, most Government of Vietnam offices, including city and provincial offices, will also be closed. Please note that we will be unable to provide U.S. citizen services during this time.
If you are contacting us regarding a true emergency involving the safety or security of a U.S. citizen, please call:
– The U.S. Embassy 24/7 at (84-24) 3850-5000 within Vietnam, or (011) (84-24) 3850-5000 from the U.S.
– The U.S. Consulate General 24/7 at (84-28) 3520-4200 within Vietnam, or (011) (84-28) 3520-4200 from the U.S.
- For Nonimmigrant Visa Applicants:
The Nonimmigrant Visa Units of the U.S. Embassy Hanoi and Consulate General Ho Chi Minh City will be closed to the public from Friday, February 1, through Friday, February 8, 2019. Please note, if your visa interview is scheduled for January 29, 30, or 31 and your visa application is approved, you will have the option to pick up your passport at the Embassy or Consulate General prior to Tet. Applicants approved on those days who do not retrieve their passports will receive them by courier after the Tet holiday.
The Nonimmigrant Visa Unit will continue conducting visa interviews until January 31. Visa mail-in renewal submission locations will be open until January 30 in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City and until January 29 elsewhere in Vietnam. However, if you apply for visa renewal by mail on or after January 25, please expect that your passport will be delivered to you after the Tet holiday.
- For Immigrant Visa Applicants:
Immigrant visa applicants who have been asked to submit additional documents should not plan on returning to the Consulate to submit documents during the Tet holiday time. The Immigrant Visa Unit will continue conducting visa interviews until February 1, 2019. However, please expect a delay in the delivery of your visa due to the Tet closure. If you have an urgent need to travel, please notify our office at the time of your interview.