Alert: Suspension of Automatic Visa Extension for Travelers in Vietnam
(January 10, 2022)
Event: Starting January 15, Vietnam Immigration Department will cease the “automatic extension of stay” policy for foreign nationals who entered Vietnam with a visa exemption certificate, e-visa, or tourist visa on or after March 1, 2020.
Individuals in this qualifying group are eligible to depart Vietnam prior to January 15, 2022, without having to apply for an extension of stay with immigration authorities.
All U.S. citizens in Vietnam are encouraged to review their visa status, and all U.S. citizens are reminded that they are subject to local laws and regulations while visiting or living in Vietnam.
The U.S. Embassy in Hanoi and Consulate General in Ho Chi Minh City cannot intervene in Vietnamese visa cases. Please contact the Immigration Department directly with any questions regarding your immigration status in Vietnam:
- General Information:firstname.lastname@example.org; 024-3938-7320
- Hanoi: 44-46 Tran Phu Street, Ba Dinh District, Hanoi (Tel: (024) 3825-7941)
- Da Nang: 7 Tran Qui Cap, Thach Thang Ward, Hai Chau District, Da Nang (Tel: (0236) 3822381)
- Ho Chi Minh City: 333-335-337 Nguyen Trai Street, Nguyen Cu Trinh Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City (Tel: (028) 3920-1701 – (028) 3920-0353 – (028) 3920-2300 – (028) 3838-6425) for further assistance.
As a reminder, Vietnamese visas and immigration issues fall within the purview of Vietnamese authorities. Failure to maintain a lawful immigration status in Vietnam may lead to financial or other penalties.
- U.S. Embassy Hanoi +84-24-3850-5000 | U.S. Consulate General Ho Chi Minh City +84-28-3520-4200
- State Department, Consular Affairs, +1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security, travel, and weather or disaster-related updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter
- Requirements for travel to the United States: travel.state.gov FAQsand http://www.cdc.gov
- U.S. Mission in Vietnam’s COVID-19 Information Page: https://vn.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/covid-19-information/