The U.S. Mission to Vietnam seeks candidates for the 2016 Young Southeast Asian Leaders Initiative (YSEALI) Academic Fellowship on Civic Engagement, and Social Entrepreneurship & Economic Development. Vietnamese citizens between the ages 18 and 25, full-time undergraduate students or those who have graduated from college, university, or other institutions of higher learning, who demonstrate strong leadership qualities and potential in their university, place of work, an interest in community service and volunteerism, and have a good command of English, are invited to apply for the program.
The application deadline is 5:00 PM, Monday, October 26th, 2015.
YSEALI is President Obama’s initiative to strengthen leadership development and networking in ASEAN, deepen engagement with young leaders on key regional and global challenges, and advance people-to-people ties between the United States and young and emerging Southeast Asian leaders.
Engaging and strengthening ties with young people is a critical element of the U.S. rebalance to the Asia-Pacific region. Recognizing that over 65 percent of ASEAN’s population is under the age of 35, YSEALI is an important investment in the next generation of Southeast Asian leaders. This initiative expands existing U.S. engagement in the region to better empower, support, and connect youth across Southeast Asia.
YSEALI Academic Fellowship invites Southeast Asian youth to universities in the United States, where they can deepen their knowledge about regional issues and share their experience and perspectives. This YSEALI Academic Fellows program will be offered to 250 young leaders from ASEAN countries in 2015 and 2016.
The YSEALI Academic Fellowship on Civic Engagement will provide Fellows with an overview of how citizens have shaped U.S. history, government, and society both as individuals and groups. The Institute will define civic engagement, examine its development in the U.S., and explore topics such as citizenship, community building, economic development, grassroots activism, political leadership, and volunteerism. Other topics such as civil rights, entrepreneurship, ethics, leadership, and media will be discussed. Fellows will also have the opportunity to leave the classroom to meet with community leaders, entrepreneurs, and representatives of non-profit organizations. The academic residency will be complemented by an educational study tour where they will meet with local, state, private, and not-for-profit organizations working in the field. The Institute will then conclude with a visit to Washington, D.C.
The YSEALI Academic Fellowship on Social Entrepreneurship and Economic Development will provide Fellows with an overview of entrepreneurial approaches that are employed to address social issues. The Institute will review the development, history, challenges, and successes of social enterprises and community leaders, in the United States and globally. Topics may include, but are not limited to, trade; investment; financial literacy; banking; microfinance; organizational development and management; grant writing; innovation; emerging markets and risk analysis; strategic business planning; corporate social responsibility; and, women and minorities in entrepreneurship. Students will also have the opportunity to leave the classroom to meet with community leaders, entrepreneurs, and representatives of nonprofit organizations. The academic residency will be complemented by an educational study tour where Fellows will meet with local, state, private, and nonprofit organizations working in the field. The Institute will then conclude with a 3 day program in Washington, D.C.
All participant costs, including program administration, international and domestic travel and ground transportation, book, cultural, mailing and incidental allowances, housing and subsistence expenses will be paid for by the U.S. Department of State.
Candidates nominated for this program should:
- be a YSEALI member. Join YSEALI at https://youngsoutheastasianleaders.state.gov/
- be between the ages of 18 and 25 at the time of application;
- be a Vietnamese citizen;
- be a resident of one of the following countries: Brunei, Burma, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, or Vietnam;
- be a full-time undergraduate student or have graduated in the past four years from college, university, or other institutions of higher learning;
- be proficient in reading, writing, and speaking English;
- demonstrate strong leadership qualities and potential in their university, place of work, and/or community;
- demonstrate interest, knowledge, or professional experience in environmental issues;
- demonstrate a commitment or interest in community service, volunteerism, or mentorship;
- indicate a serious interest in learning about the United States and ASEAN as a region;
- be willing to actively participate in an intensive academic program, community service, and study tour;
- have a commitment to return to their home country to apply leadership skills and training to benefit their community, country, or the ASEAN region; and
- preferably have little or no prior study or travel experience in the United States.
- Submission deadline: Monday, October 26th, 2015
- Application screening and shortlisted candidates interviewed by selection committee: November 2015
- Final selection results available: January 2016
How to Apply
Complete application dossier includes:
- Complete application form;
- Official transcripts for years of university study, and university degree if you already graduated
- A confidential letter of recommendation from teacher/professor (for undergraduate students); or from current supervisor (for working people)
These three documents should be combined in one PDF file, and submitted online. Eligible candidates from Quang Tri province and to the north are requested to submit their complete application dossier online at https://goo.gl/YmUbhP, and send any questions to:
Public Affairs Section
United States Embassy
YSEALI Academic Fellows Program
7 Lang Ha,
Ba Dinh, Hanoi
Tel: 84-4-3850 5000, ext. 6034 or 6044
Eligible candidates from Thua Thien-Hue province and to the south are requested to submit their complete application dossier online at https://goo.gl/N5UDHw, and send any questions to:
Public Affairs Section
United States Consulate General
YSEALI Academic Fellows Program
4 Le Duan, District 1
Ho Chi Minh City
Tel: (84) (8) 3520-4657
FAQs about the program can be found here.
The application deadline is 5:00PM, Monday, October 26th, 2015. No exceptions will be made regarding the deadline.