U.S. citizens may visit the U.S. Department of State website to find useful information about travel and transportation in Vietnam, including road conditions and safety, traffic laws, public transportation, aviation safety oversight, and maritime travel.
Foreign driver licenses, even when accompanied by an international driving permit, are not valid in Vietnam. Even though a driver’s license from an ASEAN country may be recognized in certain circumstances as valid in Vietnam, it is still advised to obtain a local Vietnamese driver’s license if you wish to drive legally in Vietnam.
Foreigners wishing to apply for a Vietnamese driver’s license or motorbike license must contact the nearest Department of Transportation for official instructions. In general, the following documents will be required:
- Application Form for the Exchange of Motor Vehicle Driving License (this form will be distributed at the office of the Department of Transportation when you arrive)
- Original and photocopies of the following documents:
- Notarized photocopies of a foreign driving license (accompanied by a Vietnamese translation) (2 copies)
- Passport biodata page (2 copies)
- Vietnamese Visa page (2 copies)
- Vietnamese Residency Permit (2 copies)
- Photograph taken by the Department of Transportation.
- Cash in Vietnamese Dong to pay the application fee (135,000 VND)
For further questions, please contact the appropriate office of the Vietnamese Department of Transportation directly.