An official website of the United States government

Electronic CRBA Frequently Asked Questions

Electronic CRBA (eCRBA) Frequently Asked Questions

Please see our Electronic CRBA (eCRBA) Frequently Asked Questions below.

What is eCRBA?

eCRBA is the Department of State’s online application for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA). eCRBA does not require any new information or processes – applicants enter the same information in eCRBA as in the paper application. This new application method will allow you to enter your data, upload required documents, pay the fees, and request an interview appointment all in one convenient online location. Additionally, the eCRBA platform is more transparent, as you will be able to check the status of your case at any time. 

How does eCRBA work?

Start by opening a MyTravelGov account. After you create an account, you can initiate an eCRBA application The system will guide you stepbystep through the online application process, including uploading supporting documents to ensure that the application is complete.  See detailed instructions hereOnce the application is complete, please pay the CRBA application fee online. You may request an interview appointment after completing your CRBA application online, through the “CRBA Appointment Request Formhere.  You must bring your child and the originals of all supporting documents to the in-person interview At the interview, a consular officer will verify the information provided, review the original documents, and process the application.

I didn’t get a confirmation email when I tried to set up my MyTravelGov account. What should I do?

Check your inbox again and look in the spam folder. The confirmation email is sent from Login.gov. If you did not receive a confirmation email, you can try to create the account again or call Login.gov for help at +1 (844) 875-6446. Representatives are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

What if I get an error message when I try to sign into MyTravelGov?

If you get the message “We’re sorry. Something went wrong on our end,” take these steps:

  • Using an outdated browser may cause this error. Try updating your browser to the latest version.  
  • Clear your internet browser’s cookies and cache. Depending on your browser, you will find this information referred to as “Browsing Data,” “Browsing History,” or “Website Data.”
  • Make sure cookies are enabled in your browser settings. Depending on the browser you are using, this information is usually located in the “Tools,” “Settings,” or “Preferences” menus.   

If you have taken these steps and still cannot sign in, call Login.gov at (844) 875-6446 or submit a contact form here Contact us | Login.gov. Representatives are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week or visit the Login.gov Help Center. Login.gov can only resolve issues related to account sign in – they cannot provide any assistance for eCRBA or other consular services.

I want to check the status of my eCRBA application or complete my in-progress application. What do I do?

(I requested an eCRBA before October 2023 and the transition to Login.gov)

In October 2023 we transitioned to a new log-in system (Login.gov). To access your previous application or continue an application already in progress, you will need to recreate a MyTravelGov account using the same email address you used for your previous MyTravelGov account. You must use the same email address in order to view the existing application in the new system. 

What documents do I need to apply for a CRBA?

The eCRBA application will guide you through the process and will help you understand which documents to provide, as well as what type of documents are acceptable. Please note that transmission of U.S. citizenship from a U.S. citizen parent to a child born abroad is not automatic, and the U.S. citizen parent must fulfill the requirements of the applicable section of the Immigration and Nationality Act. You must provide the following documentation as part of the application process:  

  • Child’s Vietnamese birth certificate  
  • Proof of U.S. nationality for transmitting parents(s) (typically, a U.S. parent’s passport issued before the child’s birth and/or Certificate of Naturalization)  
  • Proof of identification for a non-U.S. citizen parent 
  • Evidence of residence/ physical presence in the United States, its outlying territories, or qualifying U.S. government service overseas prior to the child’s birth

If applicable: 

  • Evidence of parents’ marriage and/or evidence of termination of parent(s)’ prior marriage(s) by death or divorce.

You can scan, save, and upload documents in each section of the eCRBA application.  You must bring all required documents listed in theCRBA checklist to the in-person interview where a consular officer will verify all original documents. 

Is there a deadline to report my birth or my child’s birth overseas to obtain a CRBA?

Yes. The Department of State will only issue a CRBA to U.S. citizens born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent(s) prior to age 18.  Applicants aged 18 or older may qualify for citizenship through birth abroad to a U.S. citizen parent but will have to apply for a U.S. passport for a Consular Officer to adjudicate their citizenship claim.  Applicants who are 18 or older will need to apply to document their citizenship by email, rather than through the eCRBA platform If you are 18 or older and wish to document your citizenship for the first time, please follow the instructions here.  If approved, a CRBA will not be issued in this case; the applicant will instead receive a U.S. passport as proof of citizenship. 

How do I complete the Physical Presence section in eCRBA?

In order to transmit citizenship, U.S. law requires a U.S. citizen parent to have been physically present in the United States for a certain period of time prior to their child’s birth. The Physical Presence section of the CRBA application is required for the consular officer to determine if the U.S. citizen parent has the required amount of time for transmission. The U.S. citizen parent should list all dates they have been physically present in the United States. This means that if they left the United States for even one day (including crossing the land border to Canada or Mexico), that time should NOT be included on this list. 

Tips and Tricks for Completing the Physical Presence Section of the Form

  • U.S. citizen parents should include ALL physical presence in the United States, even if a period of time occurred before they became a U.S. citizen. The total time counted should include any physical presence in the United States as a Lawful Permanent Resident (Green Card holder), time spent in the United States with non-immigrant visa status (such as B1/B2 tourist visa, F1 student visa, etc.), or time in the United States without legal status. Use stamps in previous and current passports, airline tickets, itineraries, or reservations to confirm your dates.  
  • Please note, parents transmitting citizenship will swear an oath that the dates submitted on their child’s CRBA application form are true, a statement for which they are legally accountable. Parents must ensure these dates are correct to their knowledge under penalty of perjury. 
  • If the U.S. citizen parent is not appearing at the Embassy or Consulate General for the interview, they must submit a completed, original DS-2029 or DS-5507 form, notarized in front of a Notary Public in the United States. 
  • Only include time you were physically present in the United States.  If you spent five years outside of the United States, then the timeline should reflect that five-year gap.  
  • For example, if you were born and raised in the United States and you studied abroad for one semester, you would list your physical presence as: 
  • City, State – From: (birthdate) – To: (Date you left the United States for your study); 
  • City, State – From: (Date you returned to the United States) – To: (Date you left the United States next, or the word “present”).

Additional Tips for U.S. Citizen Parents Born and Raised in the United States 

  • Start from your date of birth and list the dates chronologically. If you moved to a different city in the United States, start a new line on the table. 
  • If you do not remember the exact dates of your trips abroad, try to at least include the month/year that you left and returned to the United States. You can use the entry and exit stamps in your old passports for reference.  Any time when you were not present in the United States (such as studying or vacationing abroad) cannot be counted as physical presence.

Additional Tips for U.S. citizen Parents Born and/or Raised Outside of the United States  

  • Start from the first date that you entered the United States and list the dates chronologically. 
  • If you moved to a different city in the United States, start a new line on the table.  Moves within the same city should not be given their own line. If you spent time in the United States as a child and want that time counted towards your physical presence in the United States, please provide documented evidence for those periods: old passports with entry/exit stamps, plane tickets, school documents, etc. 
  • Any time when you were outside the United States (including vacations or visiting relatives abroad), cannot be counted towards the physical presence requirement.

How do I upload documents in eCRBA?

There are several places throughout the eCRBA application where you can provide required documents by uploading a file from your computer. The maximum allowable file size is 10MB. Click “ATTACH A FILE” or “ADD” to bring up a document upload pop-up, and then click the “select a file” button to choose the file you wish to upload. When choosing documents to upload, focus on uploading only required documents. See instructions here.

Can I request duplicate copies of the CRBA through the eCRBA system?

No. You must request additional copies of your child’s CRBA through the Vital Records section at the State Department by submitting this form to the U.S. Department of State.

Can I apply for a Social Security number and passport through the eCRBA platform?

No. Applicants cannot apply for a passport or a Social Security number through the eCRBA platform at this time.  You can submit a passport application for your child during the CRBA interview at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate General. 

Please note that you can submit an application for a Social Security Number for your child only after receiving the original Consular Report of Birth Abroad. To obtain a Social Security Number for your child, please contact the Social Security Administration office in Manila, Philippines for additional instructions. Their contact information is available here.

How do I replace or amend a CRBA?

You can request the replacement or amendment of a previously issued CRBA from the State Department’s Vital Records section. Only the individuals listed below can request to replace or amend a CRBA: 

  • The individual listed on the birth record (if age 18 or older) 
  • A parent (for minors under age 18)  
  • An authorized government agency, or  
  • A person with written authorization from the individual listed on the birth record.

You can request to amend or replace a CRBA by submitting this form to the U.S. Department of State.

What are my payment options?

eCRBA uses pay.gov, the U.S. government’s official payment site. Pay.gov accepts payments in U.S. dollars from a credit card (MasterCard, Visa, American Express, Discover) or U.S. bank account. Alternatively, you can pay directly at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate General on the date of your CRBA interview appointment.

How do I make changes to my eCRBA information once it has been submitted?

You will not be able to access your application online after it is submitted.  If you need to make subsequent changes, you must contact the U.S. Consulate General in Ho Chi Minh City at VietnamCRBAAppt@state.gov or the U.S. Embassy in Hanoi at HanoiCRBA@state.gov for help. You can also let a consular staff know of the changes during your interview.

How do I schedule an appointment online?

Request an interview appointment by completing theCRBA Appointment Request Formhere, after completing the online application. If you paid online, allow at least 72 hours between submitting your payment and your requested appointment time to allow for the processing of your payment.

Can I make one appointment for my child’s CRBA and first-time passport application?

Yes, you can schedule one appointment for the first-time minor passport and associated CRBA.  Other services may require separate appointments.

How can I cancel or reschedule my appointment?

You may contact the U.S. Consulate General in Ho Chi Minh City at VietnamCRBAAppt@state.gov or the U.S. Embassy in Hanoi at HanoiCRBA@state.gov to cancel or reschedule your appointment.

Whom do I contact if I have additional questions or encounter technical errors?

Contact the U.S. Consulate General in Ho Chi Minh City at VietnamCRBAAppt@state.gov or the U.S. Embassy in Hanoi at HanoiCRBA@state.gov 

If your inquiry is related to a technical error, please provide the following information and our office will attempt to fix the error so that you can continue with the eCRBA process: 

  • The full name and date of birth of your child; and 
  • The email address that you used to create your MyTravelGov account; and 
  • A screenshot of the computer screen showing the error message.

Can I still apply for a CRBA with a paper application if I prefer?

If you encounter significant barriers in submitting your application electronically, you may follow the non-electronic method instructionshere. However, please be informed that there may be a slight delay in the non-electronic process. 

Can parents who used Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART) apply using eCRBA?

Yes, you can apply using the eCRBA system

Can I change the child’s name in an eCRBA application?

Department of State regulations recommend that the name on the Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) certificate should match the name on the Vietnamese birth certificate, with limited exceptions. If you would like to switch your child’s name order on the CRBA, we will match the child’s name order exactly as written on the online application form when processing the application. Other name changes will be considered on a case-by-case basis.  

In general, if you want to change the name of your child on the CRBA, you should provide an amended birth certificate from the Government of Vietnam recognizing the name change. If you are not able to amend the Vietnamese birth certificate, we can issue a CRBA with the name as written on the original birth certificate, after which you can legally change your child’s name at a U.S. local court (upon returning to the United States). Once the name change is approved, you can then apply for an amended CRBA and new U.S. passport with the updated name. Any differences between the names on your child’s CRBA and Vietnamese birth certificate will present difficulties with Vietnamese immigration authorities when entering or leaving Vietnam.

What should I do if one parent could not attend the appointment?

It is not necessary for both parents to be present at the CRBA appointment, but at least one parent and the child must still appear in person for the interview. The non-appearing parent will need to complete, sign, and notarize several additional documents in advance. Please see the CRBA checklist for documentation requirements.


If you still can’t find the answer to your question, please contact us.

Contact Us

Please note that we will not respond to inquiries sent by postal mail or fax.

Submit an inquiry: Inquiry Form

U.S. Embassy in Hanoi
Consular Section,
Rose Garden Building
Second Floor, 170 Ngoc Khanh Street
Hanoi, Vietnam
Mailing Address:
Consular Section
U.S. Embassy in Hanoi
7 Lang Ha Street, Hanoi, Vietnam

U.S. Consulate General in HCMC
American Citizen Services
4 Le Duan Blvd., Dist. 1
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam