The U.S. Mission in Vietnam seeks qualified candidates for the 2023 Fulbright Vietnamese Scholar Program. The program provides grants to Vietnamese scholars to lecture and/or conduct research at American institutions or universities for five months (one-semester grant) or nine months (two-semester grant).
Established in 1946 and funded by the U.S. Congress, the Fulbright Program aims to promote mutual understanding through academic and cultural exchange. The Vietnamese Scholar program is a competitive, merit-based scholarship program. Successful applicants are provided with a stipend to cover living expenses, health and accident insurance for the full term of the grant, and transportation to and from the United States. Fulbright in Vietnam in coordination with the Institute of International Education (IIE) helps place scholars at appropriate host institutions in the United States.
We actively encourage women, minorities, and residents from all provinces to apply. The program is open to all candidates who qualify through open competition on the basis of academic and professional merit without regard to race, religion, gender or affiliation.
• Grant announcements 2023 (English & Vietnamese) (PDF-183KB)
• Online application instruction (PDF-758KB)
• Additional application instruction (PDF-82KB)
• What is the deadline for application? The annual deadline for applications to the Vietnamese Scholar Program is October 15. A complete application package for the 2023-2024 academic year must be received by the office of the Fulbright Vietnam Program via the online system by 17:00 on October 15, 2022 (Vietnam time).
• What does the Vietnamese Scholar Program grant provide? Program participants are provided with a stipend to cover living expenses, health and accident insurance for the full term of the grant. Typical grants range for five months (one-semester grant) or nine months (two-semester grant). Participants are also provided with transportation to and from the United States. IIE helps place scholars at appropriate host institutions in the United States.
• Who is eligible for the Vietnamese Scholar Program?
Applicants who specialize in disciplines within the social sciences and humanities, science, and technology are welcome to apply. Competition is open to all applicants who meet the following minimum criteria: be a Vietnamese citizen; hold a M.A. or Ph.D. (or equivalent degree in some specific professions); and have English skills adequate to conduct research and/or lectures in the United States.
Applicants should be university faculty, government officials, private sector professionals, work at a think tank, or occupy similar positions. Applicants will be expected to have a significant record of scholarly or professional accomplishments. Applicants must reside in
Vietnam throughout the nomination and selection process, and they must return to Vietnam upon completion of their U.S. stay.
Applicants are ineligible who:
1. Are currently residing, teaching, studying, or conducting research in the U.S., or who have received a Fulbright grant within the past five years.
2. Have been to the U.S. as a J-1 Exchange Visitor in the category of Professor or Research Scholar within the past two years.
• How are participants chosen? The Fulbright Program sends grant announcements to universities, colleges, and research institutes throughout Vietnam every year. A peer review panel is then convened to select candidates who are distinguished by their academic prominence, possess potential for becoming key figures in their fields, and whose research topic or methodology is creative. After the panel makes its recommendation of candidates, the Fulbright Program interviews these candidates to assess their English abilities. The Program then sends its recommendations to IIE for further evaluation. Once the candidates’ records are assessed, IIE forwards its selection of candidates to the J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board, which makes a final selection of participants.
For more information, please visit the following link: https://vn.usembassy.gov/education-culture/fulbright-program-vietnam/vietnamese-scholar-program/ or read the Frequently Asked Questions (PDF-167KB) or contact Ms. Hoang Phuong, Fulbright Program , at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (024) 3850-5000.