This page carries current vacancy announcements for the United States Embassy Hanoi. The Human Resources Office, located in Hanoi, only advertises locally hired positions for U.S. Government agencies in Vietnam. These are: Department of State (DOS), Foreign Agriculture Services (FAS), Foreign Commercial Services (FCS), Department of Defense (DOD), Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), United States Agency for International Development (USAID), Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Service (BCIS), and the Joint Personnel Accounting Command (JPAC).
Who Can Apply? Each vacancy announcement will specify who can apply. The following categories are used:
- Appointment Eligible Family Members (AEFMs) – All agencies
- Current Employees of the Mission, Appointment Eligible Family Members (AEFMs) and Eligible Family Members (EFMs) – All agencies
- All Interested Candidates – Ordinary and Non-Ordinary Residents of Vietnam
Appointment Eligible Family Member (AEFM)?
A type of Eligible Family Member (EFM) that is eligible for direct hire employment on either a Family Member Appointment (FMA) or Temporary Appointment (TEMP) provided she/he meets all of the following criteria:
- U.S. citizen;
- Spouse or dependent who is at least age 18;
- Listed on the travel orders of a Foreign or Civil Service or uniformed service member permanently assigned to or stationed at a U.S. Foreign Service post or establishment abroad with a USG agency that is under COM authority;
- Is resident at the sponsoring employee’s or uniform service member’s post of assignment abroad, approved safehaven abroad, or alternate safehaven abroad; and
- Does not receive a USG annuity or pension based on a career in the US Civil, Foreign, or uniform services.
Eligible Family Member (EFM)?
Family Members at least age 18 listed on the travel orders of a Foreign or Civil Service or uniformed service member permanently assigned to or stationed to a US Foreign Service post or establishment abroad with a USG agency that is under COM authority who do not meet the definition of AEFM above.
Member of Household (MOH)?
A MOH is a person who: 1) has accompanied, but is not/not on the travel orders of a U.S. citizen Foreign or Civil Service employee or uniform service member permanently assigned to or stationed at a U.S. Foreign service post or establishment abroad; 2) has been declared by the sponsoring employee to the Chief of Mission as part of his/her household; and 3) resides at post with the sponsoring employee.
Ordinary Resident (OR)?
A citizen of the host country or a citizen of another country who has shifted the main residency focus to the host country and has the required work and/or residency permits for employment in country.
Non-Ordinary Resident (NOR)?
Typically NORs are AEFMs and EFMs of FS, GS, and uniform service members who are on the travel orders and under Chief of Mission authority, or other personnel having diplomatic privileges and immunities.
OPENING and CLOSING DATES
All positions will be advertised for at least two weeks. We also advertise positions in local Vietnamese newspapers. Copies of vacancy announcements are available from the security guard at the U.S. Embassy in Hanoi, 7 Lang Ha or the U.S. Consulate General in Ho Chi Minh City depending on the location of the position.
Note: Individuals seeking career employment in the United States Foreign Service should go to the Department of State’s website at http://www.state.gov for a listing of current vacancies. This website also carries information about the Foreign Service Written Examination.