United States Embassy Hanoi
United States Consulate General Ho Chi Minh City
Emergency Message for U.S. Citizens
October 11, 2016
The State Department alerts U.S. citizens to the South Pacific Tropical Cyclone Season, which begins November 1, 2016, and ends April 30, 2017. This Travel Alert expires on April 30, 2017.
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) recommends that people living or traveling in regions prone to tropical storms and tropical cyclones be prepared. Minor tropical cyclones can develop into typhoons very quickly, limiting the time available for a safe evacuation. Inform family and friends of your whereabouts and remain in close contact with your tour operator, hotel staff, transportation providers (airlines, cruise lines, etc.), and local officials for evacuation instructions during a weather emergency. For further information about tropical cyclone preparedness, please visit our Tropical Season – Know Before You Go and Natural Disaster webpages, and NOAA’s Tropical Cyclones Preparedness Guide.
While we do our best to assist U.S. citizens in a crisis, local authorities bear primary responsibility for the safety and well-being of people living or traveling in their countries. For more information, please visit our What the State Department Can and Can’t Do in a Crisis page.
For further information on tropical cyclone warnings in the South Pacific region, consult the Joint Typhoon Warning Center, the National Weather Service’s Central Pacific Hurricane Center, the Government of Fiji’s Regional Specialized Meteorological Center, or the Government of Australia’s Bureau of Meteorology.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for your destination.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Check the website of the U.S. embassy or consulate with consular responsibilities for the territory you will be visiting.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Mondaythrough Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.