Health and Travel Alert – U.S. Embassy Hanoi and U.S. Consulate General Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam (March 17, 2020)
Event: There is an ongoing outbreak of Coronavirus (COVID-19). The Government of Vietnam has implemented enhanced screening to reduce the spread of COVID-19.
The U.S. Embassy in Hanoi and the U.S. Consulate General in Ho Chi Minh City have received information that the Vietnamese government is likely to take the following steps imminently:
- Require all travelers entering Vietnam with visas to undergo a health check and mandatory 14-day quarantine. This will apply to, among others, all U.S. citizen travelers and persons born in Vietnam but holding passports from other countries. This policy is likely to be put in place within the next day.
- Cease visa issuance worldwide, as of today, March 17, 2020.
- Make all ASEAN travelers subject to a health check and mandatory 14-day quarantine effective within the next day.
- The situation remains fluid and government of Vietnam requirements may change with little to no notice.
Visit the local government COVID-19 website (in Vietnamese) for updated information.
Actions to Take: Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- The CDC has guidance on how to evaluate asymptomatic people you might have come into contact with: CDC Risk Assessment.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 Mission Vietnam’s COVID-19 webpage for information on conditions in Vietnam.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- Seek medical care right away if you believe you may have COVID-19 (or similar symptoms) or were exposed to someone who may have COVID-19 in the last six weeks.
U.S. Embassy Hanoi
From outside Vietnam: +84-24-3850-5000
From the U.S.: 011-84-24-3850-5000
From landline within Hanoi: 3850-5000
From mobile or landline within Vietnam: 024-3850-5000
Submit an Inquiry Form
- Department of State’s Bureau of Consular Affairs: +1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
- Vietnam Country Information
- Follow us on Facebook (U.S. Embassy in Hanoi) or Facebook (U.S. Consulate General in HCMC)
- We strongly recommend that U.S. citizens traveling to or residing in Vietnam enroll in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). STEP enrollment gives you the latest security updates and makes it easier for the U.S. embassy or nearest U.S. consulate to contact you in an emergency. If you don’t have Internet access, enroll directly with the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.
- Regularly monitor the State Department’s website at www.Travel.State.Gov, where you can find current Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and the Worldwide Caution.