U.S. Mission Vietnam
Health Alert – U. S. Embassy Hanoi
August 15, 2022
Event: The Ministry of Health in Vietnam has recently reported a rise in dengue fever cases. On August 9, the Ministry reported over 136,000 cases of dengue fever over the first seven months of this year, 3.2 times the number of cases from the same period in 2021.
About one in four people infected with dengue will get sick. For people who get sick with dengue, symptoms can be mild or severe. Severe dengue can be life-threatening within a few hours and often requires care at a hospital.
Dengue viruses and the virus that causes COVID-19 can cause similar symptoms in the early stages.
Dengue is spread to people through the bite of an infected mosquito. These mosquitoes also spread chikungunya and Zika viruses. The best way to protect yourself from dengue is to avoid mosquito bites.
Actions to Take:
- Use insect repellent: Use Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)-registered insect repellents with one of the active ingredients below. When used as directed, EPA-registered insect repellents are proven safe and effective, even for pregnant and breastfeeding women.
- Picaridin (known as KBR 3023 and icaridin outside the US)
- Oil of lemon eucalyptus (OLE)
- Para-menthane-diol (PMD)
- Protect babies and children:
- Dress the child in clothing that covers arms and legs
- Cover strollers and baby carriers with mosquito netting
- Wear long-sleeved shirts and long pants and treat clothing and gear using 0.5% permethrin
- Use a mosquito net over bedding if you are outside or when screened rooms are not available
- Take steps to control mosquitos indoors and outdoors
- Use screens on windows and doors
- Use air conditioning, if available
- Stop mosquitos from laying eggs in or near water by emptying items that hold water such as buckets, planters, or trash containers
More information about dengue, including prevention, symptoms, and treatment is available on the U.S. CDC website. Dengue | CDC
U.S. Embassy Hanoi (Hanoi, Vietnam) +84 (0)24-3850-5000
U.S. Consulate General Ho Chi Minh City (Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam) +84 (0)28-3520-4200
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates