U.S. Mission Vietnam
Message for U.S. Citizens
August 25, 2021
The militarily enforced lockdown in Ho Chi Minh City is expected to continue until at least September 6. During this time the U.S. Consulate General in Ho Chi Minh City recommends the following:
- Stay appraised of local news sources for upcoming changes. Ho Chi Minh City has an official information portal at: https://ttbc-hcm.gov.vn/ There may be a delay on English-language information on the website. Therefore, U.S. citizens should also monitor other local news sources.
- Ask your landlord or hotel about coordinating food and medicine delivery with local ward authorities. During this lockdown, people may not be permitted to exit their homes to purchase groceries. Your apartment, hotel, residential compound, or neighborhood should have received notice from your ward regarding food and medicine delivery logistics.
- If travelling to the airport, consider arriving prior to 6pm to avoid post-curfew difficulties at any check points.
- Ensure that if you are travelling to the airport or for a pre-flight COVID-19 test, that you have your valid passport and a ticket with your name. Note that each car passenger, excluding the driver, must have a ticket with appropriate date.
- Note that the Vietnamese Immigration office remains open. They can be contacted online via xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn or by phone at 028-392-00365.
If you are travelling by taxi to the airport, make sure to have a copy of your ticket and valid travel document. If you are travelling to obtain your COVID-19 test result, it is recommended you travel with a copy of your plane ticket. Two taxi companies that are still operating services to the airport are:
Taxi Mai Linh: 1055
Taxi Vinasun: (028) 38272727
Please note that the taxi services are only used for transportation from your residence to the Tan Son Nhat airport and to a medical clinic or hospital.
The U.S. Consulate General encourages U.S. citizens to communicate with their employers, landlords, neighbors, and other local contacts to determine what new restrictions, if any, will come into effect in their area.
The U.S. Mission in Vietnam reminds all U.S. citizens that they are subject to Vietnamese local laws and regulations while visiting or living in Vietnam. We advise U.S. citizens to comply with the Vietnamese government’s testing and quarantine requirements.
U.S. citizens should refrain from gathering in large groups and monitor local news and government restrictions to avoid travel disruptions. Government of Vietnam regulations regarding business operations, quarantine, movement, and travel restrictions in all parts of Vietnam can change with little notice.
Additional Information from U.S. Mission Vietnam:
Website: U.S. Embassy Hanoi
Website: U.S. Consulate General Ho Chi Minh City
Follow us on Facebook and on YouTube
Enroll in our Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.