An official website of the United States government

Proof of a Parent Child Relationship

Parent-children relationships can be corroborated with the following documents.

Note: all documents must be original – no photocopies.

  • Minor’s U.S. Birth Certificate with both parents’ names
    (Hospital birth certificates are not acceptable.)
  • Minor’s Consular Report of Birth Abroad with both parents’ names
  • Minor’s Foreign Birth Certificate with both parents’ names* (If the minor’s name shown on the Foreign Birth Certificate is different from the U.S. name, please bring either the U.S. Birth Certificate or Report of Birth Abroad)
  • Adoption decree with adopting parents’ names *
  • Court order establishing custody *
  • Court order establishing guardianship *

* All foreign documents must be accompanied by an English translation (formal or informal).