The Government of Vietnam continues to combat the COVID-19 outbreak and are imposing varying restrictions, lockdowns, and quarantines to keep their country safe. Local authorities may require COVID-19 positive individuals, including U.S. citizens, to quarantine at designated facilities. The U.S. Embassy and Consulate General in Vietnam do not have jurisdiction over local health authorities and cannot stop imposed quarantines.
These are uncertain times, and we recommend that U.S. citizens living in Vietnam prepare for the unexpected:
- Put together an emergency bag to include water, medications, toilet paper, etc.
- Have a Vietnamese speaking family member, friend, or lawyer available to assist with communication.
- Talk to your family in advance, especially your children, to prepare them for unexpected quarantines, restrictions etc.
- Make informed choices –international flights departing Vietnam remain available.
If you are in a quarantine facility or about to be taken to one, we recommend the following:
- Notify the U.S. Consulate General at (84) 028 3520 4200, firstname.lastname@example.org or the U.S. Embassy in Hanoi at (84) 24 3850 5000, ACSHanoi@state.gov so we are aware of your placement and can monitor your status.
- Follow Government of Vietnam regulations and cooperate with quarantine and medical staff as they are working hard to protect the community’s safety.