You are eligible to submit by mail or appointment-free drop-off if you can answer yes to all of the following:
- I can submit my most recent U.S. passport book by mail with my renewal application;
- My most recent full validity passport was issued within the last 15 years and when I was age 16 or over, and the passport I am submitting is not damaged;
- My most recent U.S. passport book has/had a validity of 10 years from issuance to expiration;
- My most recent U.S. passport book was issued in my current name (or I can document my name change by submitting a copy of marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order with my passport application;) and
- I currently reside in and/or have a valid mailing address in the Vietnam.
If you are eligible to renew by mail, you do not need to make an appointment.
If you do not meet these criteria to renew by mail or appointment-free drop-off, you must instead apply for a new passport on Form DS-11 and schedule an appointment to submit an application in person at either the U.S. Embassy in Hanoi or Consulate General in Ho Chi Minh City. In this situation, please follow the instructions here.
Passport renewal by mail or appointment-free drop-off typically takes 3-4 weeks. If you have a need for immediate international travel, please schedule an appointment.
Payment Methods & Details
Online Fee Payment for (DS-82) Adult Passport Renewals:
If you will renew your passport via Form DS-82, you can pay the adult passport renewal application fee of $130.00 fee online on Pay.gov, via ACH Bank Account Transfer (from a U.S. bank account), U.S. or international credit/debit card, PayPal, or Amazon Pay. This amount cannot be altered. You must pay the fee in U.S. dollars.
Pay the $130.00 passport application fee online via the U.S. government’s secure payment site. In the name fields on the payment site, please use your current legal name, even if it is different from the name that appears on your prior passport. If you are submitting a payment on behalf of another passport renewal applicant, please enter their name.
The payment form on Pay.gov is encrypted to ensure the security of your personal information. Pay.gov is a secure portal, used by more 40 U.S. government agencies, to collect forms and payments. Pay.gov uses 128-bit SSL encryption to protect your transaction.
If you experience technical issues with your online payment, please email OnsiteFees@state.gov with a description or screenshots of the issue you are experiencing.
Online fee payment is currently available for passport book renewals only, and not for a passport book and passport card combination. If you wish to renew both a passport book and card, please book an appointment. Online payments for the passport card are not yet accepted.
After successfully paying the fee, you will receive a confirmation email. Please print out that electronic payment confirmation and include the printout it in the package you send to the U.S. Embassy in Hanoi or Consulate General in Ho Chi Minh City.
How to Apply
Steps to renewing your U.S. passport by mail (Form DS-82) and paying your application fee online via Pay.gov:
- Verify your eligibility to apply with Form DS-82;
- Visit Pay.gov and make your online payment for your DS-82 renewal application;
- Print out the emailed payment confirmation you receive;
- Complete the DS-82 application form online here. Please PRINT OUT the completed form, sign and include the signing date, and attach one color passport photo (2”x 2” or 5cm x 5cm) with a white background taken within the last 6 months. Photo requirements are listed here. Please enter all required information completely and accurately. Note: You cannot currently list a “Country” when completing the “Emergency Contact” section on our forms. Please list an emergency contact in the United States.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: After completing Form DS-82, please CLICK HERE for a sample of the DS-82 to make sure you have provided sufficient information according to our regulations.
Mail-in or Drop-Box Option
You may choose Mail-in or Drop-box option:
Mail your payment confirmation printout, your signed DS-82 application, the passport you are renewing, a copy of the passport bio/signature page, proof of name change (if applicable), and 2”x 2” (5cm x 5cm) photo via mail or EMS courier to the U.S. Embassy in Hanoi or Consulate General in Ho Chi Minh City.
- In Hanoi, Da Nang, Ho Chi Minh City, Hai Phong, Bac Ninh, Vinh Phuc, Thai Nguyen, Quang Ninh, Dong Nai, Khanh Hoa, Binh Duong, Can Tho, Vung Tau, Long An, Binh Phuoc, or Quang Nam: You can submit your application at the designated Express Mail Services (EMS) Post Office listed below. The delivery service company will collect both Drop-off and Delivery of passport fees at the time of drop-off.
|No.1, Tan Xuan street, Bac Tu Liem district, Ha Noi city|
|No.22 Trang Tien street, Hoan Kiem district, Ha Noi city|
|No.783 Hong Ha street, Hoan Kiem district, Ha Noi city|
|No.45 Nguyen Hy Quang street, Dong Da district, Ha Noi city|
|No.172 Lang street, Dong Da district, Ha Noi city|
|No.16, 298 lane, Tran Dien street, Hoang Mai district, Ha Noi city|
|No.193 Trung Kinh street, Cau Giay district, Ha Noi city|
|No.67 Ngo Thi Nham street, Hai Ba Trung district, Ha Noi city|
|No.152B Nguyen Thai Hoc street, Ba Dinh district, Ha Noi city|
|Trung Van Urban area, Nam Tu Liem district, Ha Noi city|
|No.259 Yen Hoa street, Cau Giay district, Ha Noi city|
|No.84 Xuan Phuong street, Nam Tu Liem district, Ha Noi city|
|No.15 Ba La street, Ha Dong district, Ha Noi city|
|No.481 Ngo Gia Tu street, Long Bien district, Ha Noi city
|No.55 Le Dinh Ly street, Thanh Khe district, Da Nang city|
|No.868 Nguyen Huu Tho street, Cam Le district, Da Nang city|
|No.444 Ton Duc Thang street, Lien Chieu district, Da Nang city|
|No.138B Ngu Hanh Son street, Ngu Hanh Son street, Da Nang city
|Ho Chi Minh city
|No.216 Nguyen Cong Tru street, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City|
|36 bis Ba Vi street, Tan Binh district, Ho Chi Minh City|
|No.1336, 3 Thang 2 street, District 11, Ho Chi Minh City|
|No.151 Tran Nao street, District 2, Ho Chi Minh City|
|No.238 Binh Loi street, Binh Thanh district, Ho Chi Minh City|
|No.20 Nguyen Duc Thuan street, Tan Binh district, Ho Chi Minh City|
|No.104/19 Ba Van street, Tan Binh district, Ho Chi Minh City|
|No.14/13/57 Than Nhan Trung street, Tan Binh district, Ho Chi Minh City|
|No.18A Cong Hoa street, Tan Binh district, Ho Chi Minh City|
|No.482-484 Thong Nhat street, Go Vap district, Ho Chi Minh City|
|No.173 Doc Lap street, Tan Phu district, Ho Chi Minh City|
|No.75/2 Hoang Sa street, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City|
|No.1061 Hoang Sa street, District 3, Ho Chi Minh City|
|No.40, 65 street Tan Quy Dong Resettlement areas, District 7, Ho Chi Minh City|
|No.135 1F street, Binh Tan district, Ho Chi Minh City
|No.70 Hoang The Thien street, Hai An district, Hai Phong city
|No.191-193 Hai Ba Trung, Lim town, Tien Du district, Bac Ninh province
|No.36 Dien Triet street, Vinh Thinh cluster, Khai Quang ward, Vinh Yen city, Vinh Phuc province
|No.279C Phan Dinh Phung street, Phan Dinh Phung ward, Thai Nguyen city, Thai Nguyen province
|Than Hon Gai Apartment Block, no.1, cluster 67, quarter 6, Cao Xanh ward, Ha Long city, Quang Ninh province
|No.298 Dong Khoi street, cluster 13, quarter 4, Tan Hiep ward, Bien Hoa city, Dong Nai province
|No.1157 23/10 street, Vo Cang hamlet, Vinh Trung commune, Nha Trang city, Khanh Hoa province
|Land plot No. 391 and 116 map sheet No. 212 Binh Phu Quarter, Binh Chuan Ward, Thuan An City, Binh Duong Province
|No. HT 11, Hung Phu new urban area – Lot 49, Nam Can Tho, Hung Thanh ward, Cai Rang district, Can Tho city
|No.55 Nguyen Trai Street, Quang Phu Quarter, Phu My Ward, Phu My Town, Ba Ria Vung Tau Province
|No. 14, Tran The Sinh Street, Quarter 10, Ben Luc Town, District Ben Luc, Long An Province
|No. 289 Tran Hung Dao Street, Phu Tan Quarter, Tan Phu Ward, Dong Xoai City, Binh Phuoc Province
|No. 396 Phan Chu Trinh, Tam Ky city, Quang Nam province
- Other provinces: You can choose any mail courier services to mail your application to our office. We highly recommend that you use a trackable courier service to submit your application packet to us, so you can track the progress of the delivery.
MAILING ADDRESS: We receive DS-82 renewal application packets at the U.S. Embassy in Hanoi or Consulate General in Ho Chi Minh City.
- For applicants residing in Hue and North: Please send your complete application packet to the U.S. Embassy in Hanoi: Consular Section, American Citizen Services Unit, U.S. Embassy in Hanoi, 7 Lang Ha Street, Hanoi, Vietnam.
- For applicants residing south of Hue: Please send your complete application packet to the U.S. Consulate General in Ho Chi Minh City: Consular Section, American Citizen Services Unit, 4 Le Duan Blvd., Ben Nghe Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
U.S. Embassy Hanoi: You may drop off your passport application at the U.S. Embassy Hanoi from Monday to Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. (except holidays and other closures). No appointment is necessary and application processing time is approximately 3 – 4 weeks. You will submit the DS-82 application, your previous passport plus one photocopy, and your pay.gov payment confirmation sheet in a sealed envelope. Please note you will need to pick up your new passport in person at the Embassy. We will notify you via email with pick up instructions when your new passport is ready.
Ho Chi Minh City Consulate General: You may drop off your passport application at the U.S. Consulate General in Ho Chi Minh City on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays between 1:30 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. (except holidays and other closures). No appointment is necessary and application processing time is approximately 3 – 4 weeks. You will submit the DS-82 application, your previous passport plus one photocopy, and your pay.gov payment confirmation sheet in a sealed envelope.
Receiving Your Renewed Passport
You should receive your passport by mail/courier within 3 to 4 weeks of approval. Your previous, canceled passport will be delivered together with your new U.S. passport along with any original documents you submitted. We are unable to process requests for expedited passport renewal services.
- If you submit your application at the EMS counter in Hanoi, Da Nang, Ho Chi Minh City, Hai Phong, Bac Ninh, Vinh Phuc, Thai Nguyen, Quang Ninh, Dong Nai, Khanh Hoa, Binh Duong, Can Tho, Vung Tau, Long An, Binh Phuoc, or Quang Nam, you will pay two-way delivery fees at the time of drop-off. We will mail your old and new passports to the address you provided to EMS.
- If you are using another courier service to send your application, you will need to travel to the Embassy or Consulate General to pick up your documents. You will receive more details about pick-up times in the email confirming the arrival of your passport in Vietnam.
- If you drop-off your application at the Consulate General in Ho Chi Minh City, you will be able to pay for delivery at the onsite EMS counter. We will mail your old and new passports to the address you provided to EMS.
Please wait until your package shows as delivered with your chosen courier service before inquiring with the Embassy or Consulate General as to whether we have received it. If you do not provide sufficient postage for the return of your documents, you will have to travel to the Embassy or Consulate General for passport pick-up.
You may check the status of your DS-82 renewal passport application using the Department of State’s U.S. Passport Application Status online application.
For any other questions, you are welcome to contact us here.