An official website of the United States government

Request a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (eCRBA)

What is a Consular Report of Birth Abroad?

A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) is evidence of United States citizenship, issued to a child born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents who meet the requirements for transmitting citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).  A CRBA documents the birth of a United States citizen in a foreign country.  It is accepted by all U.S. government agencies as proof of a child’s U.S. citizenship.  Although not technically a birth certificate (which can only be issued by the local jurisdiction where your child was born), the CRBA can be used in the United States in the same way as a birth certificate issued by a city or county registrar’s office. You may apply for a child’s U.S. passport at the same time you apply for the CRBA.

Apply electronically for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (eCRBA)


Please note that applicants must now have a Login.gov account to access eCRBA services on the MyTravelGov portal.  Instructions for creating a Login.gov account are available at MyTravel.state.gov.  If you already have an eCRBA application in progress, use the same email address previously used to access the MyTravelGov website to create an account.  This ensures a streamlined linkage between your existing profile and the new authentication system.   

If your biological child was born in Vietnam and is currently under 18 years old, you can apply electronically for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (eCRBA) by following the steps below:

1. Read through the eligibility requirements and CRBA Checklist carefully to ensure you have all the required documentation ready to upload and bring with you on the day of your interview;

2. Create your MyTravelGov account here;
NOTE:  Even if you cannot use a credit/debit card, or a direct payment from a U.S. dollar denominated bank account (also known as “ACH”), to pay for your CRBA application online, when creating your MyTravelGov account, to proceed, you will need to answer YES to the question: “Can you use a credit/debit card, or a direct payment from a U.S. dollar denominated bank account (also known as “ACH”), to pay for your CRBA application online?”  You will be able to make a payment directly at our office during your interview appointment.

HELP CENTER: If you encounter problems when creating or logging into your MyTravelGov Account, please visit: https://www.login.gov/help/.  You may submit a contact form here: https://login.gov/contact/#get-in-touch, or call Login.gov at (844) 875-6446. They are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.  Please note that Login.gov can only resolve issues related to account sign in, they cannot help you with consular services.

3. Complete your eCRBA application. Scan and upload your documents as you go;

IMPORTANT NOTICE – SIBLING CASES:  If you have multiple children applying for a CRBA at the same time, please make sure you add them to the current eCRBA application by clicking on the button “Add Another Child.”  Failure to do so will cause the sibling cases to be separated and create delays to the processing of your children’s cases.

4. Pay the eCRBA fee ($100) if possible;

5. Request an interview appointment by completing the CRBA Appointment Request Form.  Please note that if you were able to pay online, allow at least 72 hours between submitting your payment and your requested appointment time; and

6. Attend the in-person interview. Please bring along all required documents listed in the CRBA checklist.



* If you encounter significant barriers in submitting your application electronically, you may follow the non-electronic method instructions here.  However, please be informed that there may be a slight delay in the non-electronic process.