- Appear in person and accompanied by both parents/legal guardians. If one parent/guardian cannot come in person, that absent parent must submit a signed and notarized original Form DS-3053 and provide a two-sided copy of the photo ID used at the notary. The Form DS-3053 must be notarized within 90 days of application and remain valid until the passport is issued, withdraw, or denied.
Note: Form DS-3053s can be notarized at a U.S. Embassy/Consulate worldwide free of charge. We also accept DS- 3053s notarized by a local notary public in certain countries, please visit the Department of State’s website (FAQ. What countries require Form DS-3053 “Statement of Consent” to be notarized at an embassy or consulate?) for a list of countries where local notary public notarizations are not accepted. For parents present in Vietnam, Form DS-3053s must be notarized at the U.S. Embassy in Hanoi or Consulate General in Ho Chi Minh City and cannot be notarized by a Vietnamese notary public.
- Complete form DS-11 as instructed below:
- Option 1 – Online form filler: You may complete Form DS-11 online here. Please PRINT OUT the completed form and attach one color passport photo (2”x 2” or 5cm x 5cm) with a white background taken within the last 6 months. Photo requirements are listed here. DO NOT SIGN THE APPLICATION, as you will do so in front of a Consular Officer during your appointment. Please enter all required information completely and accurately. Note: You cannot currently list a “Country” when completing the “Emergency Contact” section on our forms. Please list an emergency contact in the United States. The Online form filler is not yet updated to include the X gender marker option; applicants requesting an X gender marker will need to download the PDF file in Option 2.
- Option 2 – PDF Form DS-11: The PDF Form DS-11 is available here. Please complete the form and attach one color passport photo (2”x 2” or 5cm x 5cm) with a white background taken within the last 6 months. Photo requirements are listed here. DO NOT SIGN THE APPLICATION, as you will do so in front of a Consular Officer during your appointment.
- One valid and original identification of both parents/legal guardians (e.g. Foreign passport, U.S. Driver’s License, U.S. Military/State/ US Government ID, Green card)
- Evidence of U.S. citizenship (e.g. Original/Certified U.S. Birth Certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240) or Certification of Birth (FS-1350), Certificate of Naturalization, Certificate of Citizenship)
- Present proof of parent-child relationship (e.g. Minor’s U.S. Birth Certificate/ Minor’s Consular Report of Birth Abroad/Minor’s Foreign Birth Certificate / Adoption decree with adopting parents’ names/ Court order establishing custody or guardianship / Judicial declaration of incompetence of non-applying parent/Death certificate of non-applying parent).
- Bring cash or a credit card/ debit cards to pay the fee. All fees are payable in U.S. Dollars or Vietnamese Dong in cash, or in U.S. dollars with the following credit cards/ debit cards: Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express. We do not accept checks.