An official website of the United States government

Required Documents for Children Under 16 to Replace a Lost/Stolen U.S. Passport

  1. Appear in person and accompanied by both parents/legal guardians. If one parent/guardian cannot come in person, that absent parent must submit a signed and notarized original Form DS-3053 and provide a two-sided copy of the photo ID used at the notary. The Form DS-3053 must be notarized within 90 days of application and remain valid until the passport is issued, withdraw, or denied.
    Note: Form DS-3053s can be notarized at a U.S. Embassy/Consulate worldwide free of charge. We also accept DS- 3053s notarized by a local notary public in certain countries, please visit the Department of State’s website (FAQ. What countries require Form DS-3053 “Statement of Consent” to be notarized at an embassy or consulate?) for a list of countries where local notary public notarizations are not accepted.  For parents present in Vietnam, Form DS-3053s must be notarized at the U.S. Embassy in Hanoi or Consulate General in Ho Chi Minh City and cannot be notarized by a Vietnamese notary public.
  2. Police report of lost or stolen (with translation). The police report is needed to exit Vietnam and to replace the Vietnamese entry stamp by the Immigration Department, in addition to being important to any insurance claims you might make.
  3. Complete form DS-11 as instructed below:
    1. Option 1 – Online form filler: You may complete Form DS-11 online here.  Please PRINT OUT the completed form and attach one color passport photo (2”x 2” or 5cm x 5cm) with a white background taken within the last 6 months.  Photo requirements are listed here.  DO NOT SIGN THE APPLICATION, as you will do so in front of a Consular Officer during your appointment.  Please enter all required information completely and accurately. Note: You cannot currently list a “Country” when completing the “Emergency Contact” section on our forms.  Please list an emergency contact in the United States.  The Online form filler is not yet updated to include the X gender marker option; applicants requesting an X gender marker will need to download the PDF file in Option 2.
    2. Option 2 – PDF Form DS-11: The PDF Form DS-11 is available here.  Please complete the form and attach one color passport photo (2”x 2” or 5cm x 5cm) with a white background taken within the last 6 months.  Photo requirements are listed here.  DO NOT SIGN THE APPLICATION, as you will do so in front of a Consular Officer during your appointment.
  4. Complete Form DS-64 (PDF-50KB) and PRINT OUT the completed form.
  5. One valid and original identification of both parents/legal guardians (e.g. Foreign passport, U.S. Driver’s License, U.S. Military/State/ US Government ID, Green card)
  6. Evidence of U.S. citizenship (if circumstances allow) (e.g. Original/Certified U.S. Birth Certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240) or Certification of Birth (FS-1350), Certificate of Naturalization, Certificate of Citizenship, prior U.S. passport or a copy of the lost/stolen passport)
  7. Present proof of parent-child relationship (if circumstances allow) (e.g. Minor’s U.S. Birth Certificate/ Minor’s Consular Report of Birth Abroad/Minor’s Foreign Birth Certificate / Adoption decree with adopting parents’ names/ Court order establishing custody or guardianship / Judicial declaration of incompetence of non-applying parent/Death certificate of non-applying parent).
  8. Bring cash or a credit card/ debit cards to pay the fee. All fees are payable in U.S. Dollars or Vietnamese Dong in cash, or in U.S. dollars with the following credit cards/ debit cards: Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express.  We do not accept checks.