ATTENTION: If your passport was lost or stolen, please prepare the required documents listed on the “Replace a Lost or Stolen Passport” instead of the list below.
- All applicants (children) must appear in person accompanied by both parents.
- Please remember to bring your airline ticket along with any other evidence that proves your urgent need to travel. A consular officer will review your case and provide further instructions at that time.
- Bring your current U.S. Passport.
- Provide one color passport photo (2”x 2” or 5cm x 5cm) with a white background taken within the last 6 months. Photo requirements are listed here.
- Complete form DS-11 as instructed below:
- Option 1 – Online form filler: You may complete Form DS-11 online here. Please PRINT OUT the completed form and attach one color passport photo (2”x 2” or 5cm x 5cm) with a white background taken within the last 6 months. Photo requirements are listed here. DO NOT SIGN THE APPLICATION, as you will do so in front of a Consular Officer during your appointment. Please enter all required information completely and accurately. Note: You cannot currently list a “Country” when completing the “Emergency Contact” section on our forms. Please list an emergency contact in the United States. The Online form filler is not yet updated to include the X gender marker option; applicants requesting an X gender marker will need to download the PDF file in Option 2.
- Option 2 – PDF Form DS-11: The PDF Form DS-11 is available here. Please complete the form and attach one color passport photo (2”x 2” or 5cm x 5cm) with a white background taken within the last 6 months. Photo requirements are listed here. DO NOT SIGN THE APPLICATION, as you will do so in front of a Consular Officer during your appointment.
- Parents’ valid ID.
- Present proof of parent-child relationship (if circumstances allow) Minor’s U.S. Birth Certificate/Minor’s Consular Report of Birth Abroad / Minor’s Foreign Birth Certificate /Adoption decree/Court order establishing custody or guardianship/Judicial declaration of incompetence of non-applying parent/Death certificate of non-applying parent.
- If either parent cannot be present, the appearing parent will need to provide either a photocopy of the non-applying parent’s ID and a notarized form DS-3053 Statement of Consent (PDF-41KB) or form DS-5525 Statement of Exigent/Special Family Circumstances (PDF-50KB), depending on your circumstances.
Note: Form DS-3053s can be notarized at a U.S. Embassy/Consulate worldwide free of charge. We also accept DS- 3053s notarized by a local notary public in certain countries, please visit the Department of State’s website (FAQ. What countries require Form DS-3053 “Statement of Consent” to be notarized at an embassy or consulate?) for a list of countries where local notary public notarizations are not accepted. For parents present in Vietnam, Form DS-3053s must be notarized at the U.S. Embassy in Hanoi or Consulate General in Ho Chi Minh City and cannot be notarized by a Vietnamese notary public.
- Bring cash or credit cards/ debit cards to pay the passport fee. All fees are payable in U.S. Dollars or Vietnamese Dong in cash or by credit card/ debit cards. In addition, fees are also payable with the following credit cards/ debit cards in U.S. dollars: Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express. We cannot accept checks.
- A return delivery courier slip (available at the Embassy/Consulate) filled out by you will be used to return your passport. Please note that you will pay for this service in cash directly to the EMS courier service.