An official website of the United States government

Returning Resident Visa

General information

If you are a Lawful Permanent Resident and you have been outside the United States over one year (or beyond the validity of your re-entry permit) for reasons beyond your control, you may be eligible for a Returning Resident (SB-1) Visa by following the instructions here.  You can learn more about Returning Resident Visas on the Department of State website.

Please note that if you were originally admitted to the United States in conditional status, you cannot qualify for SB-1 returning resident status if your two-year Green Card has already expired and you have not taken the appropriate timely steps to have your conditional status lifted before the card expired.  In this case, you must have a new petition filed on your behalf with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) and start the entire immigrant visa process all over again.

How do I schedule an appointment?

SB-1 visa applicants can schedule their appointments per the instructions here.