Security Alert – U.S. Embassy Hanoi and U.S. Consulate General Ho Chi Minh City – Rise in Attacks on Foreign Women (March 1, 2021)
Event: The U.S. Embassy in Hanoi alerts U.S. citizens to the rise in attacks against foreign women in Hanoi. Hanoi police are currently investigating attacks on foreign women around the Tay Ho West Lake area of Hanoi. Police state that a group of 25 men are suspected of carrying out the attacks which have included sexual assault, bricks being thrown at women, and women being assaulted with belts from motorbikes. The attackers tend to work in groups and flee quickly on motorbikes.
We urge U.S. citizens to practice vigilance and consider traveling in groups when walking or jogging in that area. U.S. citizens who are or have been targets of similar incidents are encouraged to report the incident to local police and to the U.S. Embassy in Hanoi. Emergency contact information is available here. Consular and duty officers are available 24/7 for emergency assistance.
Resources and Contacts:
- The local equivalent to 911 in Vietnam is 113 for police.
- U.S. State Department Country Specific Information – Vietnam
- U.S. Embassy Hanoi 24/7: (024) 3850-5000 within Vietnam or +8424-3850-5000 internationally.
- U.S. Consulate Ho Chi Minh City 24/7: (028) 3520-4200 or (028) 3520-4600 within Vietnam; or +8428-3520-4200 or +8428-3520-4600 internationally.
- For a listing of emergency and non-emergency services provided to U.S. citizens overseas, please see our American Citizen Services page.
- For information about general, non-emergency services provided by U.S. Citizen Services, including urgent appointment requests, please contact us via our ACS inquiry form. Depending on the nature of the request, we will generally respond within one business day.
If you would like to unsubscribe from these updates, please update your preferences here.