An official website of the United States government

Schedule your CRBA Appointment (Non-electronic)

If your biological child was born in Vietnam and is currently under 18 years old, we strongly encourage you to apply electronically for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (eCRBA) instead of the non-electronic method.  Applying electronically will guarantee an efficient process and avoid unnecessary delays during your child’s CRBA application.  It is not mandatory to use a credit/debit card to pay for your CRBA application online.  However, you can still create your MyTravelGov account online, complete the CBRA application online, request an interview appointment, and then pay the CRBA application fee in person at the interview.

We urge you to apply electronically.  In the event you cannot apply electronically and must choose the non-electronic method to apply for your child’s CRBA, please follow the instructions below.  Please note: There may be a delay in the non-electronic process.

Before your appointment

Before you schedule your appointment for a CRBA, please see below:

  • Review eligibility requirements
  • Download, print, and complete the CRBA Checklist
  • Download Form DS-2029 (PDF-61KB) to your computer and complete it on your computer.  Question 2j of Form DS-2029 must be answered as specifically as possible, and must not include any time you spent outside of the United States.  Please refer to the sample here (PDF file).  After you have completed the file, please save it on your computer.  You will need to upload this completed file to schedule an appointment as instructed below.  Please DO NOT sign Form DS-2029.
  • Gather supporting evidence (marriage certificate, birth certificate, physical presence documents, etc.), which can be found in the CRBA Checklist.
  • If also applying for a passport, complete a passport application, Form DS-11.  Overseas applicants may complete the form online but cannot submit it electronically.  After completing the form, please print it out and bring it to the appointment.  DO NOT SIGN.

You may apply for your child’s CRBA at either the U.S. Embassy in Hanoi or the U.S. Consulate General in Ho Chi Minh City.  If your child was born in another country, we can only collect the application and supporting documents and forward them to the relevant U.S. embassy or consulate in that country for adjudication.

Making your appointment

Please only use this method if you are unable to use the eCRBA system. If you are using the eCRBA system, do not request an appointment this way. To use the eCRBA system please follow here.

If you have completed all the steps above, then you’re ready to make your appointment.

  • Please send an email to HanoiCRBA@state.gov to schedule an appointment with the U.S. Embassy in Hanoi; or
    Please send an email to VietnamCRBAAppt@state.gov to schedule an appointment with the U.S. Consulate General in Ho Chi Minh City.
  • Subject line for the email: “NON-ELECTRONIC – CRBA appointment – [NAME OF YOUR CHILD]”.
  • In your email, please state clearly: “I cannot apply electronically and have to choose the non-electronic method to apply for my child’s CRBA.”  Please also provide an explanation regarding why you cannot apply electronically.  Instructions on how to apply electronically are available HERE.
  • Please clearly state in the email two preferences for an appointment date.
  • Each child requiring a CRBA will need a separate appointment, though you may send all the information and documentation in one e-mail.  In the e-mail, please attach documents necessary based on the CRBA checklist.

Please do not send additional documents.  Our office can only retrieve DOC, PDF, TIF, and JPEG files.  We do not accept RAR and ZIP files, nor Google Docs.  In case your file is larger than 5 MB, you may consider resizing the file to a smaller copy or separate the file into smaller files.

We will review your forms quickly to determine if they are complete. If so, we will schedule an appointment for you.  We will do the best to accommodate your request but might not be able to do so based on demand.  If you have further questions regarding your CRBA appointment request, you can click here to send your questions to the Embassy in Hanoi or click here for the Consulate General in Ho Chi Minh City.