An official website of the United States government

Notarial Services: Services We CAN and CANNOT Provide

Services we CANNOT provide:

U.S. law precludes the provision of notarial services in certain cases.  Among others, Notarizing Officers cannot provide notarial services in connection with:

  • Authentication, certification, or certified copies of public documents issued in the United States such as birth, residency, marriage, divorce, and death certificates; commercial records; driver’s license; other credentials.  Such documents must be authenticated in the United States for use overseas.  For additional details, please visit the Department of State’s Notarial and Authentication Services or the Office of Authentication or call +1 202-485-8000.  Please visit the National Center for Health Statistics webpage Where to Write for Vital Records for state-specific information on requesting copies of vital records.
  • Certified true copies of non-U.S. documents, such as Vietnamese birth certificates
  • Signature/ Medallion Signature guarantees:  A Signature Guarantee/ Medallion Signature Guarantee is not a notarial service, but rather a special procedure related to securities, which can only be performed by an authorized representative of a financial institution participating in a medallion program approved by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC).
  • Statements beyond the Consular Officer’s knowledge: e.g., that the document satisfies a specific legal requirement, that a person is the spouse of another, or an individual is an employee of a certain business or corporation.

Services we CAN provide:

The Vietnamese government may request the U.S. Embassy or Consulate General Ho Chi Minh City “certify” documents listed under “services we cannot provide”. Please note the Embassy and Consulate CAN notarize an affidavit for U.S. citizens which may or may not satisfy the Vietnamese requirement for “certification.”

An affidavit is a sworn statement of facts, made voluntarily, and confirmed by the oath or affirmation of the person making it.  Please note the Embassy and Consulate assume no responsibility for the veracity of the representations that appear in the affidavit.  Only the identity of the individual making the statement is validated.

The following affidavit templates are available for your convenience. It is prudent to confirm in advance if the end recipient will accept an affidavit.

Acknowledgement of signature
An Acknowledgement of signature verifies a particular person signed a given document such as a deed or bill of sale.  We can notarize only the signatures of those who are present to sign in front of a Notarizing Officer.  If you are signing on behalf of a corporation, LLC, etc., you are required to provide proof that you are authorized to sign on behalf of the organization.

Power of Attorney
A power of attorney allows you to designate someone to take legal action on your behalf, such as authorizing someone to buy or sell a property in the United States in your name while you are abroad.  You can use our blank Power of Attorney form: for Hanoi (PDF-7KB) or HCMC (PDF-7KB), or bring your own drafted one.  If you are signing on behalf of a corporation, LLC, etc., you are required to provide proof that you are authorized to sign on behalf of the organization.  Please be sure that you fully understand the permissions being granted through a power of attorney before appearing at the Embassy or Consulate.

Form DS-3053 Statement of Consent for issuance of a U.S. passport to a minor (No fee required)

Certified true copies of documents for use with Social Security applications, Federal Benefits Unit Manila

Certified true copies of a foreign passport for use with Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) applications

  • Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) Applications:
    Please see the ITIN page at IRS.gov for additional information about the ITIN and the renewal process for expired numbers.