U.S. Mission Vietnam’s Consular offices will be closed for the Tet (Lunar New Year) holiday:
Thursday, January 23, 2020, through Wednesday, January 29, 2020.
We will resume normal operations on Thursday, January 30, 2020. Please note that answers to the most common questions and inquiries can be found on our website or the Department of State’s website. We apologize for any inconvenience and wish you a happy new year. Please note that for the Tet holiday, most Government of Vietnam offices, including city and provincial offices, will also be closed, and we will be unable to provide routine services to U.S. citizens during this time.
- For U.S. Citizen Services:
To ensure sufficient time to process passports for U.S. citizens, especially before Tet, we ask you to follow the schedule below:
– If you need to have your new passport before the Tet holiday, you should apply before January 9, 2020. If you apply for a passport on or after January 9, 2020, your new passport will not be available until after the Tet holiday.
– If you do not need your new passport before Tet, you may submit your application through January 22, 2020. The Consular Section will be open through January 22, 2020, for U.S. citizen services and passport pick-up.
If you are contacting us regarding a true emergency involving the safety or security of a U.S. citizen, please call:
– The U.S. Embassy 24/7 switchboard at (84-24) 3850-5000 within Vietnam, or (011) (84-24) 3850-5000 from the U.S.
– The U.S. Consulate General 24/7 at (84-28) 3520-4200 within Vietnam, or (011) (84-28) 3520-4200 from the U.S.
- For Nonimmigrant Visa Applicants:
If your visa interview is scheduled for January 17 or 21 and your visa application is approved, you will have the option to pick up your passport at the Embassy or Consulate General prior to Tet. Applicants approved on those days who do not retrieve their passports will receive them by courier after the Tet holiday.
The Nonimmigrant Visa Unit will continue conducting visa interviews until January 21. Visa mail-in renewal submission locations will be open until January 22. However, if you apply for visa renewal by mail on or after January 13, please expect that your passport will be delivered to you after the Tet holiday.
- For Immigrant Visa Applicants:
The Immigrant Visa Unit will continue conducting visa interviews until January 21, 2020. However, please expect a delay in the delivery of your visa due to the Tet closure. If you have an urgent need to travel, please notify our office at the time of your interview. Applicants who have been asked to submit additional documents should not plan on doing so during the Tet holidays.