Typhoon Noru Update
(September 27, 2022)
Location: Central Vietnam, between Khanh Hoa and Nghe An provinces
Event: Typhoon Noru continues its path towards the coast of Vietnam and is expected to make landfall between September 27 and September 28. People located in areas between Khanh Hoa and Nghe An should continue to monitor the forecast and prepare for strong winds, rain, mudslides, and floods.
Vietnamese authorities have announced the closure of airports in Da Nang, Hue, Chu Lai (Quang Nam Province), Phu Cat (Binh Dinh Province), and Pleiku (Gia Lai) on September 27 and September 28. Note that authorities are likely to close additional airports in the central region as the storm approaches. The city of Da Nang has announced the closure of schools and stores and will implement a citywide curfew starting at 8:00 p.m. on September 27 until further notice. Quang Nam will implement a curfew starting at 6:00 p.m. and other localities may introduce similar restrictions. Officials in the region have announced plans for possible evacuations of residents of low-lying areas as needed.
Actions to Take:
- Visit the S. Joint Typhoon Warning Center and the Vietnam National Center for Hydro-Meteorological Forecasting.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Seek secure shelter.
- Carry proper Identification, including your U.S. passport and Vietnam visa.
- Have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Secure loose outdoor items (limbs, roofing material, windows (coverings), doors, debris (trash), etc.).
- Fill vehicle, generator, and water tanks.
- Check and charge radios.
- Charge cell phones and carry your charger.
- Have bottled water; make ice.
- Gather flashlights, tools, and first aid supplies.
- Have fresh batteries, candles, matches, water, groceries (canned and/or dry foods), and pet supplies.
- Assure an adequate supply of first aid materials and prescription medications.
- Let your family and office know how you plan to weather the storm, especially those family members in the United States.
- Prepare your family and home for flooding and power outages.
- U.S. Embassy Hanoi +84-24-3850-5000 | U.S. Consulate General Ho Chi Minh City +84-28-3520-4200 | https://vn.usembassy.gov/
- State Department, Consular Affairs, +1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security, travel, and weather or disaster-related updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter