Request a a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)

What is a Consular Report of Birth Abroad?

A Consular Report of Birth (CRBA) is evidence of United States citizenship, issued to a child born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents who meet the requirements for transmitting citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).  A CRBA documents the birth of a United States citizen in a foreign country.  It is accepted by all U.S. government agencies as proof of a child’s U.S. citizenship.  Although not technically a birth certificate (which can only be issued by the local jurisdiction where your child was born), the CRBA can be used in the United States in the same way as a birth certificate issued by a city or county registrar’s office. You may apply for a child’s U.S. passport at the same time you apply for the CRBA.

Apply electronically for a Consular Report of Birth (eCRBA)

If your biological child was born in Vietnam and is currently still under 18 years old, you can apply electronically for a Consular Report of Birth (eCRBA) by following the steps below:

1. Read through the eligibility requirements and CRBA Checklist carefully to ensure you have all the required documentation ready to upload and bring with you on the day of your interview;

2. Create your MyTravelGov account here;
NOTE: To proceed you will need to answer YES to the question: “Can you use a credit/debit card, or a direct payment from a U.S. dollar denominated bank account (also known as “ACH”), to pay for your CRBA application online?”  If you cannot in fact pay online, you will have the opportunity to make a payment directly at our office later during your interview appointment, so please answer “YES” regardless as the system will not allow you to proceed otherwise;

3. Complete your eCRBA application. Scan and upload your documents as you go;

4. Pay the eCRBA fee ($100) if possible;

5. Request an interview appointment by completing the “CRBA Appointment Request Formhere.  Please note that if you were able to pay online, allow at least 72 hours between submitting your payment and your requested appointment time; and

6. Attend the in-person interview. Please bring along all required documents listed in the CRBA checklist.

* If you encounter significant barriers in submitting your application electronically, you may follow the non-electronic method instructions here.  However, please be informed that there may be a slight delay in the non-electronic process, and you may have to encounter a longer wait time before you can be scheduled for an interview.  Therefore, we strongly recommend that you apply electronically.