Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) – Consular Reports of Birth Abroad (CRBA)

Please see our frequently asked questions (FAQs) below for answers related to Consular Reports of Birth Abroad (CRBA).  If you have a question related to American Citizen Services, please visit our general FAQs page or our Passport FAQs page.

The citizenship listed on the local birth certificate will not affect your child’s claim of U.S. citizenship.  If a child is the biological child of a U.S. citizen parent who meets transmission requirements, the Embassy or Consulate will issue the CRBA for the child.

The CRBA application specifically asks for your child’s name as it appears on the official Vietnamese birth certificate.  You may change your child’s name legally through the courts in the United States.

The U.S. Embassy and Consulate cannot amend a CRBA.  You may wish to contact the Department of State to request an amendment.  For more information, please see: Replace or Amend a Consular Report of Birth Abroad.

From April 4, 2016, the name of a Vietnamese parent on the child’s Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) is printed in the same order as found in the parent’s Vietnamese passport.  If the Vietnamese parent’s passport shows the full name as: “Nguyen Van A”, the system will record “Van A” as given name and “Nguyen” as Surname.  Therefore, the child’s CRBA will show the Vietnamese parent’s name as “Van A Nguyen.”  As this is the correct order for Vietnamese names according to the U.S. Department of State, no adjustments can be made.  If there are other errors, please send us a public inquiry form.

CRBA applications are administratively closed 90 days after the date of submission.

Documents  that will assist in proving physical presence often includes airline tickets, Vietnam entry visa stamps on your passport, or any other proof you feel would assist the adjudicator in making a decision.  More examples are available at the transmission requirements page.

The U.S. Embassy and Consulate do not issue Social Security Numbers. The office of Social Security Administration (SSA) in Manila is the agency responsible for issuing SS numbers. If you have submitted your child’s SSA application to our office, the application has been forwarded to the SSA office for their further processing. Normally, it takes 3-6 months for Manila to process the application and the social security cards will be mailed directly to your address given on the application. You can contact them directly:

Social Security Administration
Veterans Administration Regional Office
1201 Roxas Boulevard, Ermita 0930, Manila, Philippines
Phone: (632) 301-2000 – Extension: 9
Fax: (632) 708-9723 / (632) 708-9714

You can also apply for your child’s SS number after your child arrives in the United States.

If you registered your child as a Vietnamese citizen on his/her Vietnamese birth certificate, then you must apply for a Vietnamese passport for the child in order for him/her to leave Vietnam.

If you registered your child as a U.S. citizen on his/her Vietnamese birth certificate, then you must apply for a Vietnamese visa for the child after he/she receives a U.S. passport.

Regardless of the child’s citizenship, make sure to carry the child’s Vietnamese birth certificate when departing Vietnam as Immigration authorities may wish to see it.

Please contact the nearest Vietnam Immigration Department for more information about Vietnamese passports and visas:

Hanoi office:
44-46 Tran Phu Street, Ba Dinh District, Hanoi
Inquiry phone: (024) 3825-7941 within Vietnam or (84-24) 3825-7941 from the U.S.
Immigration Department official website (Vietnamese language only)
Office hours: 8:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. – 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Ho Chi Minh City office:

Address: 333-335-337 Nguyen Trai Street, Nguyen Cu Trinh Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City

Phone: (028) 3920-1701 – (028) 3920-0353 – (028) 3920-2300 – (028) 3838-6425


Office hours: 8:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. – 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.