Citizenship Services

What Service Do You Require?

In order for you to ‘pass’ your U.S. citizenship to your child you must meet certain requirements.  These requirements change depending on whether the mother or the father is the U.S. citizen, and whether your child was born in wedlock or out-of-wedlock.

Transmission of U.S. citizenship depends on:

  1. At least one parent having the nationality of the United States at the time of the child’s birth;
  2. The existence of a blood relationship between the child and U.S. citizen parent(s);
  3. Documentary evidence demonstrating the U.S. citizen parent(s)’ presence in the United States prior to the child’s birth, as specified in our Transmission Requirements.

Examples of Documentation

When you meet with an officer, you will have to prove that you meet all these legal requirements.  Here are some examples of documentary evidence to show you have sufficient physical presence in the U.S., though we will consider additional evidence as necessary:

  • Social Security Statement: we strongly encourage you to obtain your Social Security Statement.  This statement is often the quickest way for the officer to determine that you have sufficient physical presence in the United States.  Visit to find out how to obtain your Social Security Statement.
  • Wage and tax statements (W-2)
  • Academic transcripts
  • Employment records
  • Rental receipts
  • Records of honorable U.S. military service, employment with U.S. Government or certain intergovernmental international organizations; or as a dependent, unmarried child and member of the household of a parent in such service or employment (except where indicated).
  • U.S. passport stamps may be considered a part of the evidence submitted, but should not be the sole documentary evidence. Drivers’ licenses do not constitute evidence of physical presence.

If you have other children who have been issued a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA), this may be used as supplemental evidence.

How to transmit your U.S. Citizenship to your child?

You can apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) for your child before he/she reaches the age of 18.  Children over 18 years of age may follow the same procedure as someone applying for a CRBA but will only be issued a U.S. passport if found qualified for U.S. citizenship at birth.

If you would like to apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad at either the U.S. Embassy in Hanoi or the U.S. Consulate General in Ho Chi Minh City, please complete the following steps.

Renunciation of U.S. citizenship is a serious decision, and, if approved by the Department of State, is irrevocable. Potential renunciants are asked to carefully reflect on their decision. Renunciation applicants must have two interviews with a U.S. consular officer.  The first interview is to discuss the process with a consular officer. The second interview, which must be in-person, is to collect payment and complete the process. Renouncing U.S. citizenship does not relieve the renunciant of existing U.S. tax obligations, legal matters, or criminal charges.

After the second interview, the case will be forwarded to the Department of State for review and decision. Only when the Department of State approves the case is the renunciation considered complete. The length of time for Department of State approval may take several months. Our office will contact you when this process is complete.

The non-refundable fee for renunciation is $2,350, payable in USD or VND at the time of the second interview. Fees are payable in cash or with the following credit cards in U.S. dollars: Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express. The Embassy and Consulate do not accept payment in the form of checks.

If applicants would like to schedule the initial interview, please submit an inquiry here.  Priority will be given to applicants who reside in Vietnam.

More information about renunciation can be found here: