The U.S Citizen Services unit performs various notarial services, including:
- Affidavit of Single Status for marriage in Vietnam
Form: Embassy in Hanoi (PDF-163KB) | Consulate in HCMC (PDF 141KB)
- Affidavit of Change of Name
Form: Embassy in Hanoi (PDF-106KB) | Consulate in HCMC (PDF 322KB)
- Affidavit of Birth for lost birth certificates
Form: Consulate in HCMC (PDF 209KB)
- General Affidavit
Form: Embassy in Hanoi (PDF-106KB) | Consulate in HCMC (PDF 314KB)
- Power of Attorney
Form: Embassy in Hanoi (PDF-7KB) | Consulate in HCMC (PDF 7KB)
- Acknowledgement of signature for legal documents
In order to make an appointment for notarial services, please visit our Appointment System. Once you have scheduled an appointment, please print out the confirmation page for access to our office on the appointment date. When you arrive at our office, you will be served as soon as possible and the processing time normally takes from 30 minutes to 1 hour.
If there are no slots available in the Appointment System, please go back to the system at a later time. Appointment slots are opened approximately two weeks in advance, and additional slots are often added, so we recommend you check the system periodically for availability.
Notarial services are generally considered non-emergency. Therefore, in order to be fair to applicants, our office only considers expedite requests when there is an urgent need to travel due to an extreme emergency. An extreme emergency is danger to a person’s health or well-being. If you need to request an expedited appointment, you must first schedule an appointment online. After successfully scheduling an appointment, you must visit our Inquiry Form to submit an expedite request. Please include:
1) the reason your case is an extreme emergency and you must have an earlier appointment,
2) the date and time of your scheduled appointment and the date and time of your preferred appointment if your request is approved, and
3) attach evidence of your emergency situation or an explanation why an earlier appointment will help you resolve your emergency situation.
If you do not provide ALL the information listed above, your request will not be considered.
The notarization fee is $50 USD for each seal provided. For further information, please see the Consular Schedule of Fees here. All consular fees are payable in U.S. Dollars or Vietnamese Dong in cash, or with the following debit/credit cards in U.S. Dollars: Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express. We cannot accept checks. In addition, we can only accept bills in good condition. Notes that are taped, washed, torn, damaged, or have excessive marks or blemishes will not be accepted.
Documents of non U.S. citizens that originated from the United States or are to be used in the United States may also be notarized. For notarization, you are requested to bring your passport or other government-issued photo ID for identification purposes.
Please note that academic credentials, commercial documents, and criminal background checks of U.S. origin cannot be notarized or authenticated by the Embassy/Consulate and must go through the authentication process in the United States. However, U.S. citizens may execute an affidavit at the Embassy/Consulate stating that the documents are true and correct. You should talk to the entity who has requested these documents to determine whether this is acceptable and what format they require for submission (i.e. original or copies). You may list multiple documents in one affidavit form, and attach either original or copies of documents to the affidavit.
Preparation for a notary appointment
- Bring a valid government-issued photo ID.
- Make sure you understand your document. We are not allowed to explain the contents to you.
- Please complete the document with the appropriate names, places, and dates before you arrive (but do not sign the form; you will sign it at the Embassy/Consulate in front of a Consular officer).
- If your document requires the presence of witnesses in addition to the notarization, you are responsible for providing these witnesses and any additional information or instructions. Consular staff cannot act as witnesses. If you are not prepared to answer simple questions about how the document should be executed or cannot read the language in which it is written you may be asked to reschedule the service. If you request notarial services for your original documents, bring both an original and a photocopy. If you do not bring a photocopy, you may be charged $1.00 for each page copied.