Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) – Passport

Please see our frequently asked questions (FAQs) below for answers related to applying for a passport.  If you have a question related to American Citizen Services, please visit our general FAQs page or our Consular Report of Birth Abroad FAQs page.

In order to assist U.S. citizens abroad who are unable to renew their full validity U.S. passports, the U.S. State Department and U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) have stated that they will allow U.S. citizens to enter the United States with passports that expired on or after January 1, 2020.   However, while CBP may admit U.S. citizens will full validity expired U.S. passports, this policy does not change Vietnam’s entry and exit requirements.  U.S. citizens departing Vietnam are required to comply with Vietnamese laws and policies and are required to have a valid (not expired) passport and exit visa to leave the country.  A valid passport may also be required in order to transit other countries en route to the United States.  Please see this page (#34) for more information on the applicable conditions.  If you have further questions about Vietnamese departure requirements, please check the Vietnamese Immigration Department’s website or contact the nearest Vietnamese Immigration Office directly.


Please report the loss/theft of your passport to the local police in the area where it occurred.  Then, schedule an American Citizen Services appointment at the nearest Embassy/Consulate, making sure you have prepared the required document. A list of these documents is available on our Apply for a Passport page.  Please note that any passport reported lost or stolen is invalidated and can no longer be used for travel.

It takes 7-10 days from the time of submission for your passport to be available at the Embassy or Consulate.

Expedited service is not available at U.S. Embassies or Consulates abroad.  If you have urgent travel plans, the Embassy/Consulate can assist you by issuing an emergency passport.  Such passports will be limited in validity, and cannot be extended.  After you finish your urgent travel, you can exchange your emergency passport within a year of its issuance for a full validity passport at no extra cost.

If you simply renewed your passport, you will need to go to the Vietnam Immigration Office to transfer your visa into your new passport.  If your old passport was lost or stolen, you will need to obtain an exit visa, also from the Vietnam Immigration Office.  American Citizen Services unit staff can provide more information at your passport renewal/replacement appointment.

Please contact the nearest Vietnam Immigration Department for more information about Vietnamese visas:

Hanoi office:

Immigration Department: 44-46 Tran Phu Street, Ba Dinh District, Hanoi
Inquiry phone: (024) 3825-7941 within Vietnam or (84-24) 3825-7941 from the U.S.
Office hours: 8:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. – 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday

Ho Chi Minh City offices:
Immigration Department: 333-335-337 Nguyen Trai Street, Nguyen Cu Trinh Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City.
Inquiry phone: (028) 3920-0365 – Time: 08:00 to 16:30 – Date: Mon to Fri
Office hours: 7:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. – 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday and 7:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. on Saturdays (except holidays)

Immigration Office: 196 Nguyen Thi Minh Khai, Ward 6, District 3, Ho Chi Minh City
Inquiry phone: (028) 3829-9398
Office hours: 7:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and 7:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. on Saturdays (except holidays)

If your name has legally changed through marriage, divorce, or by other means you need to apply for a new passport.  The process and cost depend on how long it has been since your passport was issued.

The passport card is a travel document that can only be used to re-enter the United States at land border-crossings and sea ports-of-entry from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.  The passport card cannot be used for international travel by air.

If you already have a passport book and are eligible to use Form DS-82, you may apply for your new passport card.  To apply for the passport card and book, simply check the appropriate box at the top of the form to indicate that you would like to apply for both products.  You may renew your passport book at the same time using the same form.  Note: you cannot currently list a “Country” when completing the “Emergency Contact” section on our forms.  Please list an emergency contact in the United States.

Please make an appointment to apply for a passport card and passport book.