You are eligible to renew by mail on Form DS-82 if you can answer yes to all of the following:
- I can submit my most recent U.S. passport book by mail with my renewal application;
- My most recent full validity passport was issued within the last 15 years and when I was age 16 or over, and the passport I am submitting is not damaged;
- My most recent U.S. passport book has/had a validity of 10 years from issuance to expiration;
- My most recent U.S. passport book was issued in my current name (or I can document my name change by submitting a copy of marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order with my passport application;) and
- I currently reside in and/or have a valid mailing address in the Vietnam.
If you are eligible to renew by mail, you do not need to make an appointment.
If you do not meet these criteria to renew by mail, you must instead apply for a new passport on Form DS-11 and schedule an appointment to submit an application in person at either the U.S. Embassy in Hanoi or Consulate General in Ho Chi Minh City.
Passport renewal by mail typically takes 4-6 weeks. If you have a need for immediate international travel, please schedule an appointment.
PAYMENT METHODS & DETAILS
Online Fee Payment for (DS-82) Adult Passport Renewals:
If you will renew your passport via Form DS-82, you can pay the adult passport renewal application fee of $130.00 fee online on Pay.gov, via ACH Bank Account Transfer (from a U.S. bank account), U.S. or international credit/debit card, PayPal, or Amazon Pay. This amount cannot be altered. You must pay the fee in U.S. dollars.
Pay the $130.00 passport application fee online via the U.S. government’s secure payment site . In the name fields on the payment site, please use your current legal name, even if it is different from the name that appears on your prior passport. If you are submitting a payment on behalf of another passport renewal applicant, please enter their name.
The payment form on Pay.gov is encrypted to ensure the security of your personal information. Pay.gov is a secure portal, used by more 40 U.S. government agencies, to collect forms and payments. Pay.gov uses 128-bit SSL encryption to protect your transaction.
If you experience technical issues with your online payment, please email OnsiteFees@state.gov with a description or screenshots of the issue you are experiencing.
Online fee payment is currently available for passport book renewals only, and not for a passport book and passport card combination. If you wish to renew both a passport book and card, please book an appointment. Online payments for the passport card are not yet accepted.
After successfully paying the fee, you will receive a confirmation email. Please print out that electronic payment confirmation and include the printout it in the package you send to the U.S. Embassy in Hanoi or Consulate General in Ho Chi Minh City.
HOW TO APPLY
Steps to renewing your U.S. passport by mail (Form DS-82) and paying your application fee online via Pay.gov:
- Verify your eligibility to apply with Form DS-82;
- Visit Pay.gov and make your online payment for your DS-82 renewal application;
- Print out the emailed payment confirmation you receive;
- Complete the DS-82 application form as instructed below:
- Option 1 – Online form filler: You may complete Form DS-82 online here. Please PRINT OUT the completed form, sign and include the signing date, and attach one color passport photo (2”x 2” or 5cm x 5cm) with a white background taken within the last 6 months. Photo requirements are listed here. Please enter all required information completely and accurately. Note: You cannot currently list a “Country” when completing the “Emergency Contact” section on our forms. Please list an emergency contact in the United States. The Online form filler is not yet updated to include the X gender marker option; applicants requesting an X gender marker will need to download the PDF file in Option 2.
- Option 2 – PDF Form DS-82: The PDF Form DS-82 is available here. Please complete the form, including your signature and the date, and attach one color passport photo (2”x 2” or 5cm x 5cm) with a white background taken within the last 6 months. Photo requirements are listed here.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: After completing Form DS-82, please CLICK HERE for a sample of the DS-82 to make sure you have provided sufficient information according to our regulations.
- Mail your payment confirmation printout, your signed DS-82 application, the passport you are renewing, a copy of the passport bio/signature page, proof of name change (if applicable), and 2”x 2” (5cm x 5cm) photo via mail or EMS courier to the U.S. Embassy in Hanoi or Consulate General in Ho Chi Minh City.
- In Hanoi, Hai Phong, Da Nang, Khanh Hoa, Dong Nai, Ho Chi Minh City and Can Tho: You can submit your application at the designated Express Mail Services (EMS) Post Office. The delivery service company will collect both Drop-off and Delivery of passport fees at the time of drop-off.
|Hanoi||1 Tan Xuan, Bac Tu Liem, Hanoi|
|22 Trang Tien Street, Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi|
|783 Hong Ha Street, Hoan Kiem, Hanoi|
|45 Lane 9 Hoang Cau, Dong Da, Hanoi|
|172 Lang, Dong Da, Hanoi|
|No. 16 Lane 298 Tran Dien, Dinh Cong, Hoang Mai, Hanoi|
|1st floor of N09 Building, No. 193 Trung Kinh Street, Cau Giay, Hanoi|
|67 Ngo Thi Nham Street, Hai Ba Trung District, Hanoi|
|No. 152B Nguyen Thai Hoc Street, Ba Dinh District, Hanoi|
|Danang||55 Le Dinh Ly, Thac Gian Ward, Thanh Khe District, Da Nang|
|868 Nguyen Huu Tho Street, Khue Trung Ward, Cam Le District, Da Nang|
|Khanh Hoa||1157 Street 23/10, Vo Cang Village, Vinh Trung Ward, Nha Trang City, Khanh Hoa|
|Dong Nai||298 Dong Khoi, To 13, KP4, Tan Hiep Ward, Bien Hoa City, Dong Nai Province|
|HCM City||216 Nguyen Cong Tru Street, Nguyen Thai Binh Ward, District 1, HCM City|
|36 bis Ba Vi, Ward 4, Tan Binh District, HCM City|
|1336 Street 3 Thang 2, Ward 2, District 11, HCM City|
|51 Tran Nao Street, Binh An Ward, District 2, HCM City|
|238 Binh Loi Street, Ward 13, Binh Thanh District, HCM City|
|20 Nguyen Duc Thuan, Ward 13, Tan Binh District, HCM City|
|482-484 Thong Nhat, Ward 16, Go Vap District, HCM City|
|173 Doc Lap, Tan Son Nhi Ward, Tan Phu District, HCM City|
|75/2 Hoang Sa, Da Kao Ward, District 1, HCM City|
|1061 Hoang Sa Street, Ward 13, District 3, HCM City|
|Hai Phong||70 Hoang The Thien Street, Dong Hai 1 Ward, Hai An District, Hai Phong City|
|Can Tho||HT11, Hung Phu New Urban Area, Lot 49 Nam Can Tho, Hung Thanh Ward, Cai Rang District, Can Tho City|
- Other provinces: You can choose any mail courier services to mail your application to our office. We highly recommend that you use a trackable courier service to submit your application packet to us, so you can track the progress of the delivery.
For DS-82 Adult Passport Renewal (Mail-in only):
We receive DS-82 renewal application packets at the U.S. Embassy in Hanoi or Consulate General in Ho Chi Minh City.
- For applicants residing in Hue and North: Please send your complete application packet to the U.S. Embassy in Hanoi.
- For applicants residing south of Hue: Please send your complete application packet to the U.S. Consulate General in Ho Chi Minh City.
Please mail your DS-82 application packet, including proof of your online payment, to:
- U.S. Embassy in Hanoi: Consular Section, American Citizen Services Unit, U.S. Embassy in Hanoi, 7 Lang Ha Street, Hanoi, Vietnam
- U.S. Consulate General in Ho Chi Minh City: Consular Section, American Citizen Services Unit, 4 Le Duan Blvd., Ben Nghe Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
RECEIVING YOUR RENEWED PASSPORT
You should receive your passport by mail/courier within four to six weeks of approval. Your previous, canceled passport will be delivered together with your new U.S. passport along with any original documents you submitted. We are unable to process requests for expedited passport renewal services.
- If you submit your application at the EMS counter in Hanoi, Da Nang, Hai Phong, Ho Chi Minh City, or Can Tho, you will pay two-way delivery fees at the time of drop-off. We will mail your old and new passports to the address you provided to EMS.
- If you are using another courier service to send your application, you will need to travel to the Embassy or Consulate General to pick up your documents. You will receive more details about pick-up times in the email confirming the arrival of your passport in Vietnam.
Please wait until your package shows as delivered with your chosen courier service before inquiring with the Embassy or Consulate General as to whether we have received it.
You may check the status of your DS-82 renewal passport application using the Department of State’s U.S. Passport Application Status online application.