Message for U.S. Citizens: Overseas Voter Registration in 2017

Just voted in November? Still traveling or living overseas? You should register and request your absentee ballot to vote again in 2017 to ensure your election office knows where to send your ballot for any upcoming special elections for federal office. Some states are also holding gubernatorial or other statewide elections this year.

The Federal Voting Assistance Program (FVAP) recommends all overseas U.S. citizens send in a completed Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) early every year.  The FPCA is the registration and ballot request form accepted by all states and territories.

You can use the FPCA online assistant, complete the fillable PDF version (PDF 320KB), or pick up a hardcopy version from your nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.  Be sure your contact information is accurate in case your election office needs to reach you.

If you’d like more information on the Federal Voting Assistance Program or need help with the absentee voting process please go to or call FVAP at 703-588-1584 (toll free 1-800-438-VOTE or DSN 425-1584) or email

Toll-free phone numbers from 67 countries are listed at Find FVAP on Facebook at and follow @FVAP on Twitter.

For comprehensive voting information, including forms and where to submit documents, please visit the Federal Voting Assistance Program.

You may also complete your voting paperwork in person at your nearest ACS section and we will mail the documents free of charge.

  • If your voter registration card requires a notary, we will also notarize voting documents for free.
  • You may submit your voting documents through the Vietnamese mail system by applying the appropriate international postage.
  • You may submit your voting documents to your nearest ACS section in person Monday – Friday 8:30 – 11:30 a.m. (except holidays). Documents carrying a “U.S. Postage Paid” stamp can be mailed for free.
  • Many states allow email or fax submissions as well. Check with the Federal Voting Assistance Website for contact information for each registration location in the United States.

All voting questions can be directed to  Please allow three business days for a response.