An official website of the United States government

Victims of Crime


The local equivalents to the number “911” line in Vietnam are 113 for police calls, 114 for fire and 115 for ambulance.

August 4, 2023


The State Department is committed to assisting U.S. citizens who become victims of crime while abroad.  We can help in two ways:

  • Overseas: consular officers and staff work with crime victims to assist them in navigating local police procedures and medical systems.
  • In the United States: our office of Overseas Citizens Services will stay in touch with family members in the United States, and help provide U.S.-based resources for the victim when possible.

If you are the victim of a crime while in Vietnam

  • Contact the nearest U.S. Embassy in Hanoi or the U.S. Consulate General in Ho Chi Minh.  Emergency contact information is available here.  Consular and duty officers are available 24/7 for emergency assistance .
  • Consular officers are available for emergency assistance 24 hours/day, 7 days/week.
  • To contact the Department of State in the U.S. call 1-888-407-4747 (from the U.S. or Canada) or (202) 501-4444 (from overseas).
  • Report the incident to the nearest police station.  As a victim of a crime, you are encouraged to file a police report.  The police report is important for insurance claims.  If you lost your passport, the report is needed to facilitate replacement of your Vietnamese entry stamp.  Police stations in Hanoi are listed here and police stations in Ho Chi Minh City are listed here.
  • Instructions on how to report a case to police and the list of local police stations across Vietnam is available on the Vietnamese Ministry of Public Security’s website here (in Vietnamese language only).
  • If you feel compelled to return to the United States and you need our support in renewing a passport or obtaining an emergency passport, please follow the instructions here.
  • If you are in need of legal assistance, the U.S. Embassy in Hanoi and the U.S. Consulate General in Ho Chi Minh City have compiled a list of attorneys for reference here.

Consular Assistance to U.S. Crime Victims:

When a U.S. citizen is the victim of a crime overseas, he or she may suffer from physical, emotional or financial injuries.  It can be more difficult because the victim may be in unfamiliar surroundings, and may not know the local language or customs.  Consular officers and local employees are familiar with local government agencies and resources and can assist U.S. citizen victims of crime.

We can help:

  • Replace a stolen passport
  • Contact family, friends, or employers
  • Obtain appropriate medical care
  • Address emergency needs that arise as a result of the crime
  • Explain the local criminal justice process
  • Obtain information about your case
  • Connect you to local and U.S.-based resources to assist victims of crime
  • Obtain information about any local and U.S. victim compensation programs available
  • Provide a list of local lawyers who speak English

We cannot:

  • Investigate crimes
  • Provide legal advice or represent you in court
  • Serve as official interpreters or translators
  • Pay legal, medical, or other fees for you

Contact Information for Victim Assistance Programs:

DISCLAIMER:  The U.S. Department of State assumes no responsibility for the professional ability or integrity of the organizations whose names appear below.  This referral does not constitute an endorsement or recommendation of the U.S. Department of State.  The listed agencies and organizations have not been vetted by the U.S. Department of State or other federal agency.

Resources and Information for Crime Victims upon Return to the United States

Some U.S. cities and communities offer programs to help residents who are victims of overseas crime, including:

  • Rape crisis counseling programs
  • Shelter and counseling programs for battered women
  • Support groups and bereavement counseling for family members and friends of murder victims
  • Diagnostic and treatment programs for child abuse victims
  • Assistance for victims of drunk driving crashes

All U.S. states provide victim compensation programs, however only some states offer benefits to residents who are victims of violent crime overseas.  Most compensation programs require the victim to file a report at the time of the incident, and to provide a copy with the application.  Programs include financial assistance to pay for:

  • Medical costs, including counseling
  • Funeral or burial expenses
  • Lost income or loss of support
  • Expenses related to the repatriation of remains

Information about each state’s compensation program and how to apply for benefits is available from the National Association of Crime Victim Compensation Boards.

Privacy Act of 1974

The Privacy Act of 1974 prohibits a U.S. Consular Office from releasing any information about a U.S. citizen without their written consent except as set forth in the Act. A U.S. citizen can complete a Privacy Act written consent authorizing a Consular Officer to contact individuals on their behalf and disclose information. Please click here for additional information about the Privacy Act of 1974 and the Privacy Act written consent form.

Emergency Contact

For emergency assistance involving a U.S. citizen, please call:

• the U.S. Embassy in Hanoi 24/7 at (024) 3850-5000 within Vietnam or +8424-3850-5000 internationally.
• the U.S. Consulate General in HCMC 24/7 at (028) 3520-4200 or (028) 3520-4600 within Vietnam; or +8428-3520-4200 or +8428-3520-4600 internationally.

For non-emergency issues, please contact us here .

Contact Us

Please note that we will not respond to inquiries sent by postal mail or fax.

Submit an inquiry: Inquiry Form

U.S. Embassy in Hanoi
Consular Section,
Rose Garden Building
Second Floor, 170 Ngoc Khanh Street
Hanoi, Vietnam
Mailing Address:
Consular Section
U.S. Embassy in Hanoi
7 Lang Ha Street, Hanoi, Vietnam

U.S. Consulate General in HCMC
American Citizen Services
4 Le Duan Blvd., Dist. 1
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Sexual Assault and Suicide Prevention Resources

U.S. and Online Resources

  • Crisis Text Line – Crisis Text Line is free, 24/7 support for those in crisis linking them with a trained crisis counselor.
  • End Rape on Campus – End Rape on Campus (EROC) works to end campus sexual violence through direct support for survivors and their communities; prevention through education; and policy reform at the campus, local, state, and federal levels.
  • National Sexual Assault Hotline – 24/7 1-800-656-HOPE (Also has a chat function on the website.) Rape, Abuse, & Incest National Network (RAINN) is the nation’s largest anti-sexual violence organization. RAINN created and operates the National Sexual Assault Hotline in partnership with more than 1,000 local sexual assault service providers across the country and operates the DoD Safe Helpline for the Department of Defense. RAINN also carries out programs to prevent sexual violence, help survivors, and ensure that perpetrators are brought to justice. 
  • Truman Group – Psychological Care for Expats – Help from Home.
  • Women with PTSD United – Offers a collective of trauma-related resources for survivors of rape, domestic violence, and more. 

DISCLAIMER: The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the entities or individuals whose names appear on the following lists.  Inclusion on this list is in no way an endorsement by the Department or the U.S. government.  Names are listed alphabetically; the order in which they appear has no significance.  The information on the list is provided by the local service providers; the Department is not able to vouch for such information.


Local Resources – Ho Chi Minh City


Local Resources – Hanoi

  • Hagar International – Hagar supports women and children survivors of human trafficking, domestic violence, and sexual abuse. They provide victims with free and safe accommodation, healthcare, psychological counselling, legal aid, and career training.

Domestic Violence

Families and Friends of Murder Victims

Victims and Families of Drunk Driving Crashes

General Victim Assistance

Overseas Resources