As of 00:00 on Sunday, March 22, the Vietnamese government is suspending entry to all foreigners, including people with a Vietnamese visa exemption certificate. For further details, please see the Vietnamese government’s website here.
Foreigners, including Americans, arriving in Vietnam after midnight Vietnam time (Saturday to Sunday) will be made to return to their point of origin.
The government of Vietnam has not issued an official proclamation at this point that explains their policy regarding permanent residents of Vietnam who hold another citizenship.
If you decide to travel abroad or are already outside the United States:
- Consider returning to your country of residence immediately using whatever commercial means are available.
- Have a travel plan that does not rely on the U.S. Government for assistance.
- Review and follow the CDC’s guidelines for the prevention of coronavirus.
- Check with your airline, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit travel.state.gov to view individual Travel Advisories for the most urgent threats to safety and security.
- Visit our Embassy webpages on COVID-19 for information on conditions in each country or jurisdiction.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- Visit Keeping workplaces, homes, schools, or commercial establishments safe.
Actions to Take: Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- The CDC has guidance on how to evaluate asymptomatic people you might have come into contact with: CDC Risk Assessment.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.govfor the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Mission Vietnam’s COVID-19 webpagefor information on conditions in Vietnam.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- Seek medical care right away if you believe you may have COVID-19 (or similar symptoms) or were exposed to someone who may have COVID-19 in the last six weeks.
U.S. Embassy Hanoi
From outside Vietnam: +84-24-3850-5000
From the U.S.: 011-84-24-3850-5000
From landline within Hanoi: 3850-5000
From mobile or landline within Vietnam: 024-3850-5000
Submit an Inquiry Form
- Department of State’s Bureau of Consular Affairs: +1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
- Vietnam Country Information
- Follow us on Facebook (U.S. Embassy in Hanoi) or Facebook (U.S. Consulate General in HCMC)
- We strongly recommend that U.S. citizens traveling to or residing in Vietnam enroll in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). STEP enrollment gives you the latest security updates and makes it easier for the U.S. embassy or nearest U.S. consulate to contact you in an emergency. If you don’t have Internet access, enroll directly with the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.
- Regularly monitor the State Department’s website, where you can find current Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and the Worldwide Caution.