Weather Alert – Tropical Storm Sanba
U.S. Embassy Hanoi, Vietnam
October 19, 2023
Location: Northern and Central Vietnam
Event: Tropical Storm Sanbah is expected to track in a north-northwesterly direction past Hainan and across the Gulf of Tonkin on October 19 before making an abrupt u-turn and impacting the northeastern Vietnam coast around Quang Ninh province on early October 20. The storm is then forecast to weaken into a tropical depression and dissipate as it tracks southwestward over the Gulf of Tonkin. Vietnam’s National Center for Hydrometeorological Forecasting (NCHMF) has issued a warning bulletin for the storm system due to expected heavy/ very heavy rainfall from Quang Tri to Quang Nam provinces from late October 19. Moderate rainfall, rough seas, and strong winds are also expected in other coastal regions and north-central, northeastern, and southern parts of the country, including areas of central Vietnam that have experienced recent flooding.
Actions to Take:
- Visit the U.S. Joint Typhoon Warning Center (https://www.metoc.navy.mil/jtwc/jtwc.html) and the Vietnam National Center for Hydro-Meteorological Forecasting (https://www.nchmf.gov.vn/kttv/).
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Seek secure shelter.
- Carry proper Identification, including your U.S. passport and Vietnam visa.
- Have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Secure loose outdoor items (limbs, roofing material, windows (coverings), doors, debris (trash), etc.).
- Fill vehicle, generator, and water tanks.
- Check and charge radios.
- Charge cell phones and carry your charger.
- Have bottled water; make ice.
- Gather flashlights, tools, and first aid supplies.
- Have fresh batteries, candles, matches, water, groceries (canned and/or dry foods), and pet supplies.
- Assure an adequate supply of first aid materials and prescription medications.
- Let your family and office know how you plan to weather the storm, especially those family members in the United States.
- Prepare your family and home for flooding and power outages.
- U.S. Embassy Hanoi +84-24-3850-5000 | U.S. Consulate General Ho Chi Minh City +84-28-3520-4200 | https://vn.usembassy.gov.
- State Department, Consular Affairs, +1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) (https://step.state.gov/step/) to receive security, travel, and weather or disaster-related updates.
- Follow us on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/travelgov) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/travelgov).