An official website of the United States government

Welfare and Whereabouts

Should one of your family members become missing, the U.S. Citizen Services unit can assist you in locating the person.  Also, should you become concerned about the welfare of a family member, this office can assist you.  Keep in mind that once an individual is located, you will be notified only if he/she has given a written consent to release of personal information under the Privacy Act.

When contacting the U.S. Citizen Services unit in these cases, please have available the name of the person you are looking for, his/her U.S. passport number, date and place of birth, travel plans, and the date when he/she entered Vietnam.

The U.S. Citizen Services unit cannot act as your travel agent, bank, lawyer, investigator or law enforcement agent. Please do not expect the office to find you employment, get you residence or driving permits, act as interpreters, search for missing luggage or settle disputes with hotel managers. You may not stay at the U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate General if you are stranded. However, the office can tell you how to obtain help on these and other matters.